Background & Details (read this post first, please!)

Homepage Forums Belgrade Quarry, North Carolina Forum Background & Details (read this post first, please!)

Viewing 14 posts - 21 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    Chuck Ferrara
    Participant

Hi Bruce,

I hope Aldo did well – he is one of our scholarship recipients.  That is great news about the peccary!  When I found my Equus horse tooth in 2007 was when I acquired Lauck Ward’s paper describing the geology of the Belgrade area (it helped me to better understand the geology).  As per our conversation about understanding where and how some small amount of mammal fossils got into a marine environment, you explained this is not unusual – that fossils get moved over time and displaced.  Too bad we can’t find a larger amount than the few specimens; that would really help.  Can’t wait to get back there – I will see you in Dallas and we can talk some more.  Looking forward to seeing everyone!

Bruce MacFadden
    Keymaster

@cferrara @lmccall @dbohaska

Hi Chuck–If we could get a group of Pleistocene mammals (optimally at least 6 specimens for statistics), like Equus, from Belgrade then these could be compared to the chemical fingerprint of the supposed early Miocene fossils from the same site.  This uses rare earth elements. I’ve done this successfully on several occasions, including with Florida Titanis, as you can see in the attached article.

Linda–do you think that any of your members also have Pleistocene mammals from Belgrade?

Dave–in the SI collections?

See you soon. Bruce

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Don Rideout
    Participant

Hello all. I have collected extensively from the Belgrade quarry for 10 years or more have a large amount of material from there. ( Probably one of the people Linda is referring to from the NCFC.

Victor I have  numerous shark species from Belgrade along with sawfish and ray. Also some marine mammal items.

Bruce, I have a peccary tooth from there also, I believe Linda may have already forwarded a picture of it to you.

Also turtle, croc among other items. I also found recently a large whale vert and a megalodon in very good shape about 3 1/2″

I also have a bone that was ID’d tentatively (by picture) as giant land tortoise. Pictures attached.

Attachments:
    Lee Cone
    Participant

I am going to contact three people who have collected Belgrade  on numerous occasions and ask them to sign up and join this discussion.  I have only collected there two or three times and really cannot add to the discussion.  Look for Bruce Hargreaves, Don Muller, and Joel Hardin to add some useful input to the conversation.

Eleanor Gardner

@lcone — Thanks, Lee, you are doing a great job of recruiting more folks to join the myFOSSIL community!

@don-muller
    — Hi, Don! Have you found any mammal material from the Belgrade quarry? We’d love to hear about it, if so. 🙂

Bruce MacFadden
    Keymaster

@lmccall @lcone @vperez @rleder

Today I visited the fossil collections at the Smithsonian to look at the land mammals from the Belgrade. There are six fossils of interest in the collections–a horse (Archaeohippus), giant pig-like Daeodon, probable deer-like protoceratid, rodents (2), and possible small carnivore tooth. No peccary fossil in the Smithsonian.

This is developing into an interesting study. I hope to be able to talk more about the fossils collected by others.

Attachments:
    Bruce MacFadden
    Keymaster

@cferrara

Hi Chuck–

I went to the Smithsonian on Tuesday and looked at the Belgrade mammals in their collections. See my forum post from above. Hope that now that you are famous you still will be interested in the Belgrade forum.

Chuck Ferrara
    Participant

Bruce @bmacfadden

I forgot you were going up to visit the Smithsonian to look at the fossils from Belgrade.  Yes, I’m still interested – the fame hasn’t gone to my head! Can’t wait to get back there to look, but it seems not a lot to go by from your post. We’ll just keep looking.

Bruce MacFadden
    Keymaster

I’m looking forward to getting back to Belgrade next week. Hope we find a land mammal! Good to dream.

@cferrara
    , @lmccall, @lcone, @don-muller, @dbohaska, @donrideout

Don Rideout
    Participant

Bruce @bmacfadden. I hope you do find some mammal material at Belgrade Friday. Will you be in Aurora on Saturday> If so I will bring my peccary tooth along with some recent photo’s of other mammal material found there in the last 6 months or so.

Bruce MacFadden
    Keymaster

@donrideout

Hi Don–

Yes I will be at Aurora on Saturday. I’d love to see your peccary tooth along with photos of other mammal material you have found. See you soon–Bruce

Chuck Ferrara
    Participant

Hello Bruce @bmacfadden

Leaving tomorrow, heading to Aurora to volunteer. Can’t wait to get back into Belgrade to look for any fossils – but especially mammal material!

See you soon!

Bruce MacFadden
    Keymaster

Hi Chuck  @cferrara —

Me too. Safe travels and see you soon, Bruce

Eleanor Gardner

Don’t forget to share pictures from your adventures in the Belgrade quarry, everybody! We would love to see what you found. 🙂

@bmacfadden
    , @cferrara, @lcone, @don-muller, @donrideout, @joyce-drakeford

Viewing 14 posts - 21 through 34 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.