Case Miller's Original Post

Homepage Forums Fossil Prep Tips & Tricks Forum Case Miller's Original Post

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 83 total)
  • Author

well Jack (@jkallmeyer) I can do that but you need to free me from the US Customs and Border protection 😉

Jack Kallmeyer

Ronny,

I found an even better method to cut and polish the silicified specimens that I have.  I made contact with a member of the local lapidary club who happens to do this as a small side business.  He does excellent work and has the right equipment.  In addition, he was able to explain some of the intricacies of this work that I would never have thought of.  One important thing with my specimens is that some have internal cracks so the specimen could break during the work.  He explained how he could use consolidant in the crack to stabilize the specimen.  It makes sense but I would not have known what to use.  With any luck, he will have my specimens done before the Cincinnati conference so I can show them to you.

Jack

Dear Jack @jkallmeyer, to stabilize cracks I recommend “Starbond”, we use it in our polish process to stabilize agate. It is polishable.
    I guess it is US product so it should be easy to purchase.

regards

Ronny

Jack Kallmeyer

Ronny @rleder,

Thanks for that tip.  I don’t think that is what my lapidary friend is using but I will make a note of it.

Jack

Eleanor Gardner

Hey Jack @jkallmeyer

Would you at all be interested in filming a YouTube video series showing how you cut and polish the Solenopora specimens? If you make the films, Ronny & I can edit and upload to YouTube on the FOSSIL Project channel. I’d like to highlight your methodology! Let me know what you think 🙂

Thanks,
    Eleanor

Jack Kallmeyer

Eleanor,

In theory I could do a video if you think there is interest.  In practice, I have no video camera so will need to investigate borrowing one from our member who videos our meeting programs.  I’ll check into that and get back to you.

Jack

@jkallmeyer, Hey Jack, you can easily use the video mode of your DSLR camera, that is what also a lot of professional video makers do for smaller projects. Some have reduced their equipment and go just with their DSLRs now because the quality has increased that much. If your camera is not too old the quality should be quite good or at least good enough. I was using a Canon EOS 650 D because the video quality of that model from 2012 is astounding, especially for the quite affordable price.

Cheers

Ronny

Jack Kallmeyer

@rleder, Ronny,

Ha! You know I never thought of that.  My Nikon D90 has that capability but I’ve never used it.  I’ll have to get the book out to see how that is done.

Thanks

Jack

@jkallmeyer, It would be really nice if you can shoot such a video and just like Eleanor said we can edit and cut the video here since I have the proper software for that. I also would like to ask you if you could ask Dan Cooper to shoot a similar video from his trilobite preparation work. That would be also very helpful and enriching the prep forum very much.

Thank you Jack it is always a pleasure to work with you!

Best

Ronny

btw: it was a good decision to come back to Florida since my wife gave birth to our son on Saturday the 18th 😉

Jack Kallmeyer

@rleder, Ronny,  I’ll check with Dan for you.  He left the conference to go to Wyoming and I don’t know his schedule but I’ll find out.

Jack

Hey Jack (@jkallmeyer),

How is it going?

Have you thought about the video? Have you contacted Dan? This is no hold up, even if it sounds like 😉
    I am just very eager because I think that would be great stuff for the website and shows your incredible abilities as “super professional amateurs”. And that’s not all. Since we plan to have a series of webinars we are looking for partners who can help others with their high level of experience. I was immediately thinking about you and your folks from the Dry Dredgers. Can you imagine to be the host and presenter of a webinar about fossil preparation or about “how to find a fossil”? Maybe together with Kyle or someone else appropriate? That would be awesome. Please think about it and then we can talk via phone if you like.

all the best

Ronny

Jack Kallmeyer

Ronny,

I have gotten the video camera to use for the cut and polish video.  It has three quality levels.  Should I use the default or one of the higher ones? I will schedule soon.

I did email Dan but he is in Wyoming and currently not answering emails.

Your other idea sounds interesting but let’s see how the video goes first.

Jack

Awesome Jack (@jkallmeyer),

I recommend the highest quality, downsizing is always possible but increasing bad picture quality is impossible. So please go with the highest possible quality and I am quite curious about the results, can’t wait for that 😉
    If you need help editing anything just tell me …

Thanks again and best wishes from Gainesville

Ronny

Jack Kallmeyer

Ronny, I was counting on your editing skills as I have none at all.  I will be giving you the raw video once I get it.

Jack Kallmeyer

Ronny, I completely missed your comment in an earlier post about the birth of your son.  Congratulations!

Jack

Hey Jack (@jkallmeyer) That sounds good, just count on me and we will produce a nice video. And thank you for the Congrats!

best

Ronny

Jack Kallmeyer

Ronny,

I finished the video.  Actually, it is three files – cutting; grinding; polishing.  Total file size is about 1.3 GB.  These are MP4 files. How do I get them to you?

Jack

Hey Jack (@jkallmeyer),

I will invite you to my dropbox where you can upload the videos. That might be the easiest way.

Thanks

best regards

Ronny

Jack Kallmeyer

Ronny, this all sounded good until I went to the link you provided.  Dropbox won’t let me upload to your box unless I create an account.  I am reluctant to do that.  I try to limit my exposure on the web.  Is there any other way to do this or will I have to sign up?

Jack

@jkallmeyer,

try this one …https://www.plustransfer.com

I understand I also don’t want to leave to much traces in the web …

cheers

Ronny

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 83 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.