Discussion Thread for Belgrade PaleoBlitz

Homepage Forums Belgrade Quarry, North Carolina Forum Discussion Thread for Belgrade PaleoBlitz

Viewing 11 posts - 21 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Joyce Drakeford
    Participant

Other photos

Victor Perez
    Participant

I’m unsure what you’ve got there. Croc toe wouldn’t be my first guess, but I really don’t know. @joyce-drakeford

Bill Heim
    Participant

Ginglymostoma is the genus of nurse shark most often found at Belgrade.  I have seen an excellent image of an actual Nebrius tooth from there but it was from the Eocene rather than the Oligocene/Miocene formations.  To differentiate the two genus, the center cusp on Ginglymostoma is noticeably much larger than the lateral cusps and stands out as in your tooth.  In Nebrius, the center cusp is larger but not as exaggerated as in Ginglymostoma.  I suspect that by the late Oligocene, Nebrius no longer existed in the Atlantic.

Julie Niederkorn
    Participant

Thank you for the information on the nurse shark teeth at the Belgrade Quarry.  I would like to label the nurse shark teeth that I have collected at the quarry, do you think all of these are Ginglymostoma?

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Eleanor Gardner

Hi, @julie-niederkorn!  Perhaps @bill-heim, @vperez, or @rleder could help you with your labels.  I don’t think they received a notification about your post.

Bill Heim
    Participant

Julie @julie-niederkorn, that is a Hemipristis lower anterior tooth.    Here is an image of a large one from Florida.

Attachments:
    Bill Heim
    Participant

@julie-niederkorn

Larger images of the nurse shark teeth would help.   The center 2 teeth are clearly Ginglymostoma as is the second from the right.  Some of the others, I am not so sure.

Julie Niederkorn
    Participant

Thank you Bill @bill-heim,  I am attaching some larger photos of some of the nurse shark teeth.

Attachments:
    T R
    Participant

Are we talking Belgrade MT?

Eleanor Gardner

No, this forum is referring to the Martin-Marietta owned Belgrade Mine in Jones County, North Carolina.

You can read more about the mine here: https://www.myfossil.org/featured-fossil-rare-extinct-land-mammal-from-belgrade-north-carolina/

T R
    Participant

Thank you for pointing that out.  Is this mine accessible and if so how do you get permission?

Viewing 11 posts - 21 through 31 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.