Does anyone have an idea that this might be?

Homepage Forums What Is It? Does anyone have an idea that this might be?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Nyla Alisia
    Participant

This is from the Clarkia Formation, at Fossil Bowl, Idaho. The little pods are just under 1/4 inch in length.
    Thanks!

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Victor Perez
    Participant

Very cool find! <span class=”atwho-inserted” contenteditable=”false” data-atwho-at-query=”@mackenzie”>@mackenzie-smith</span> may be able to help with this.

MacKenzie Smith
    Participant

Hello <span class=”atwho-inserted” contenteditable=”false” data-atwho-at-query=”@nyla”>@nyla-alisia</span> and <span class=”atwho-inserted” contenteditable=”false” data-atwho-at-query=”@vp”>@vperez</span>. Short answer is that this is an infructesence (a group of fruit). Can you possible provide a close up to one of them please? Thanks! I’ve worked on Clarkia material before but have not seen this (also Clarkia is the name of the flora, the formation name is Latah). Malvaceae (mallows and cotton) and Fabaceae (peas/beans) are the first two families that come to mind.

MacKenzie Smith
    Participant

<span class=”atwho-inserted” contenteditable=”false” data-atwho-at-query=”@nyl”>@nyla-alisia</span>, Do you think you could include a scale bar in your photo? Looking at it again, it reminds me of a new genus I described about a year ago from that formation. It is in the Ericaceae (blueberry family). If the fruit are about 2 cm long, it could be Juddicarpon.

Nyla Alisia
    Participant

MacKenzie Smith, Is this photo better? Thank you so much for the information! I have other strange things I have found there as well. It is an amazing site!

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Nyla Alisia
    Participant

@MacKenzie Smith One of the fruit is 2 cm long, the lowest one.

Nyla Alisia
    Participant

@MacKenzie Smith Looking at the images of Juddicarpon, it really looks like that is it maybe?

Nyla Alisia
    Participant

Actually, they all might be, there is still light matrix at the tip of each fruit. I could prepare it better but, I do not mess with Clarkia flora much as it is quite delicate.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.