Fossil Horse Tooth – Molar

Homepage Forums The Fossil Horses Forum Fossil Horse Tooth – Molar

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Paul Somers
    Participant

I discovered the attached Equus molar back in February 2018 at the Martin Marietta Clark’s Mine in New Bern, NC.  The fossil was laying next to some brush and trees on a small ridge away from the spoil piles.  Due to limitation on how many attachments I can send I will send other pictures that are more detailed.  I don’t know if this helps your forum but decided to put it here and then if you think its significant, it could be considered to be added to the Belgrade Mine Forum.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Paul Somers
    Participant

Here is the second message of more pictures of Fossil Horse Tooth – Equus

Attachments:
    Paul Somers
    Participant

This is the third of three messages regarding pictures of Fossil Horse Tooth – Equus

Attachments:
    Sadie Mills
    Keymaster

Hi Paul, thanks for sharing! @bmacfadden, take a look at this horse tooth from Belgrade!

Paul Somers
    Participant

Sadie this was actually found at Clark’s Quarry which is about 23 miles NE from Belgrade Quarry.

Bruce MacFadden
    Keymaster

Hi Paul–Thanks for your Forum post. I am sorry that it has taken me a few days to respond.

I always like to learn about new discoveries of fossil horses. Yes, the tooth that you found is of Equus. It is an upper molar in moderate wear, meaning that it was from an advanced adult (not juvenile or senior citizen).

Fossil Equus teeth are not surprizing for North Carolina, but any new discovery adds to our knowledge base. If you have photos of it with a ruler (for scale) and upload it to our FOSSILS gallery, it will contribute new knowledge to science through this occurrence. Do you know if other fossil horses, or other Ice Age mammals have been found at the same locality?  This would be interesting as well.

I really appreciate your interest in this fossil and wanting to connect with us via this forum!  I’d be happy to correspond with you more about this.

Paul Somers
    Participant

Bruce…thank you for your response.  The first set of pictures show the scale in cm.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.