LITTLE WHITE BALLS IN ROCK

Homepage Forums What Is It? LITTLE WHITE BALLS IN ROCK

Tagged: , , ,

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Raymond Jaquez
    Participant

Hello again dear members! Last weekend I was exploring next to the sea in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic and I founded this tubular rock with many little balls. Can somebody help me to identify this species?

Thank you in advance!

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Eleanor Gardner

Hi, @raymond-jaquez – To me this looks kind of like a fossilized tabulate coral.  The little structures look kind of like zooxanthellae to me.  I’m not an invert person, though.  Perhaps @jkallmeyer, @kyle-hartshorn, or @bostickkw could help?

Kyle Bostick
    Participant

Not a member of Tabulata, they went extinct in the Permian (given you were in the DR, not a candidate). Not sure what it is from the pictures, but I wouldn’t rule out the possibility of it being a sponge fossil.

To me it just looks like a vug with secondary carbonates growing on the inside. Best of luck in identifying it.

Kyle Bostick
    Participant

@egardner to my knowledge there’s never really any fossils of zooxanthellae , unless you consider pigment biomarkers to be fossils. They’re too squishy-squishy and in the tissues of the polyps to be preserved as a body fossil. *shrugs

Raymond Jaquez
    Participant

Thank you @egardner and @bostickkw for helping in the identification process. This is the link with a little video I did in order to show more details of the fossil https://vimeo.com/210149486

Have an amazing Sunday!

Raymond Jaquez
    Participant

In this picture I spotted an area that looks like many little eggs..

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.