Mollusks from the Haywood Landing Member

Homepage Forums Belgrade Quarry, North Carolina Forum Mollusks from the Haywood Landing Member

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Michael Reagin
    Participant

I specialize in mollusks and I have a decent collection of bivalves and gastropods from the Haywood Landing Member of the Belgrade Formation that I have collected at the Belgrade quarry.  Would there be any interest in posting pictures of these here?

Hey Michael, @michael-reagin,

thank you for your input and of course are we interested in your findings … please upload your stuff, we can’t wait to see it.

all the best

Ronny

Eleanor Gardner

@michael-reagin
    Hi, Michael!
    Looking forward to meeting you at the PaleoBlitz later this month. We would LOVE for you to upload some pictures of your mollusk collection from Belgrade. And since the PaleoBlitz will be focused on Belgrade material, it would be particularly useful to have those images already posted so that it can further conversation at the event. Please let me know if you need any tips on uploading! Or check out tutorial #2 at: http://community.myfossil.org/video-tutorials/

Thanks!!
    -Eleanor

Michael Reagin
    Participant

Here are a few gastropods collected from the Haywood Landing Member of the Belgrade Formation at the Belgrade Martin-Marietta Mine.

Michael Reagin
    Participant

Let’s try this again.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Michael Reagin
    Participant

More gastropods.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Eleanor Gardner

Beautiful! Thanks for sharing, Michael (@michael-reagin). Am I seeing possible predatory drill holes in a few of the specimens?

Michael Reagin
    Participant

I don’t see any drill holes in these specimens.  If you are referring to the hole in the top of Diodora chipolana carolinensis that is a feature of species in the Family Fissurellidae aka the key hole limpets.  These marine gastropods strongly attach to hard substrates and allow water to enter under their shells and over their gills forcing exhalent water and bodily wastes out through the hole at the top of the shell.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.