Newbie to quarry hunting

Homepage Forums Belgrade Quarry, North Carolina Forum Newbie to quarry hunting

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Cheri Parker
    Participant

I am going to the Belgrade Quarry soon and would like any helpful information for a first timer!

I’ve collected sharks teeth for years on the Neuse River and at the Aurora Fossil museum, but I’ve never been to a quarry.

Does anyone have any pointers for me?  How long do you have to stay?  I’m a little worried.

Bruce MacFadden
    Keymaster

Belgrade has fossils everywhere. You should be fine. I do not know of a single publication concerning the fossils, but the 1979 US Geological Survey Bulletin 1457-F is a good intro to the sediments and age. Look at section # 20, which is the Belgrade quarry. You can download the pdf on-line at no cost, I think. Good luck hunting.

Victor Perez
    Participant

Agreed, there is no shortage of fossils at Belgrade. You’ll want to stay as long as you can and bring ample bags for collecting. You’ll be collecting in the spoil piles of the mining operation, so you shouldn’t really need any tools for digging. If you want a quick guide to the types of sharks you can find there, I suggest checking out the ID guide for North Carolina at http://www.fossilguy.com/id_papers/index.htm

Send us some pictures of what you find! Best of luck!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.