Northeastern/North-Central GSA in Pittsburgh, PA

Homepage Forums Upcoming Opportunities Northeastern/North-Central GSA in Pittsburgh, PA

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Eleanor Gardner

Who all from the myFOSSIL community is going to the Northeastern/North-Central GSA joint section meeting in Pittsburgh, PA, this coming March?  The FOSSIL Project is hosting a special full-day theme session highlighting partnerships between amateurs and professionals — it should be a great conference!

I know that the following folks will be presenting in our session: @bmacfadden, @vperez, @llundgren, @jkallmeyer, @kyle-hartshorn, @cathy-young, @jayson-kowinsky, @lmccall, @lcone, @cferrara, @jason-schein, and @derek-anderson.  What are you most looking forward to?

Is anyone else going to the meeting? @bdattilo, @rebecca-freeman, @bheimbrock

The Geoscience Education sessions at this meeting might be of interest to you, @deborah-kravchuk and @laura-amatulli!

Lisa Lundgren
    Keymaster

I’m looking forward to another full day FOSSIL session at a GSA conference. I’ll be presenting “Describing Social Paleontology from an Ecological Perspective” in which I’ll examine the ways in which Facebook likers, Twitter followers, and myFOSSIL members participated in social paleontology from October 2015-2016. (I know, it’s a bit meta to be talking about it here 😉 ). Really looking forward to presenting with such wonderful folks in the community. What are the other presenters going to be speaking about? @jayson-kowinsky are you going to be extending your SEGSA presentation on fossilguy.com at this session? @lcone I think @egardner told me about some surveys you did? Excited to hear about them here and at the conference.

Laura Amatulli
    Participant

Very interested in this conference.  Any NGSS connections?   I’ve been using knowledge from last year’s conference in Cincinnati and applying ideas this year and would love to share/host educator round table or session.

Eleanor Gardner

@laura-amatulli – Yes, I believe so!  There are two Geoscience Ed sessions at this conference; one is entitled “New Strategies and Best Practices for Teaching Climate and Energy” and the other is entitled “Teaching Climate and Energy to a K–12 Audience.”  See the descriptions here (scroll down a little bit) for more information: http://www.geosociety.org/GSA/Events/Section_Meetings/GSA/Sections/ne/2017mtg/techprog.aspx

Benjamin Dattilo
    Participant

I should show up. I have only a student presenting on some fishes from the Miocene of southern Nevada (Nevada Test Site). I plan to attend and will have federal regulation issues in my head.

Jayson Kowinsky
    Participant

@llundgren – Yes, it’s going to be about avocational paleontology websites.  I’m looking into website analytics on http://www.fossilguy.com and exploring how visitors use available resources on the website.  By understanding visitor data trends, such as user interest, scientific content, and readability, paleontology-related websites can be tailored to meet these needs and better engage users.

Everyones abstracts look great.  I can’t wait for the full day FOSSIL session!

Eleanor Gardner

Oops, just realized I accidentally left @dkrisher off the list of folks presenting at NE/NC GSA!  Sorry!  What are you most looking forward to, Dan?

Eleanor Gardner

I’ve posted our field trip guide/ID sheet to the myFOSSIL Resources.  http://www.myfossil.org/category/document/

Want to get a sneak peek of the locality where we’ll be collecting fossil fern material in PA?  Check it out!  Many thanks to @jayson-kowinsky for putting the document together!

@llundgren
    , @bmacfadden, @vperez, @cathy-young, @lmccall, @cferrara, @lcone, @dkrisher

Lisa Lundgren
    Keymaster

@egardner, this is excellent, thanks for posting. @jayson-kowinsky, thank you for putting this ID sheet together. I like that there is a QR code on it, too, that’s a great tech aspect.

On the second page, I see the list of the plants and marine fossils that can be found at the site. Are we more likely to find the plants or the marine fossils? Has anyone aside from Jayson been to this locality before? If so, want to give us a sneak peak of your finds (and a search image!) by posting some of the fossils you’ve collected in the fossil gallery?

@bmacfadden
    @vperez @cathy-young @lmccall @cferrara @lcone @dkrisher

Jayson Kowinsky
    Participant

Hey Lisa,

PennDOT blew up most of the marine zone while widening the cut a while back.   There are occasionally chunks of marine zone that have fallen that people can search, but chunks of the plant layer are much more common to find.

I was there about a month ago to make sure the site was not blown up…again.   I only spent about 15 or so minutes there, and didn’t see any marine chunks, but there were quite a few giant slabs of Mahoning shale to look through.  The plant slab in the picture was laying out in the open, so everyone is at least guaranteed plant fossils.

The little path to the cut is always beaten down with footprints, and there are always little piles of worked through shale, so there are others that go there!  Maybe someone else who visits the site will also post here.

@llundgren, @bmacfadden, @vperez, @cathy-young, @lmccall, @cferrara, @lcone, @dkrisher @egardner,

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Chuck Ferrara
    Participant

Attending NE/NC GSA pittsburgh. sitting in on a glacier session and and an oil shale session.

Very interesting!

Everyone’s presentations went smoothly. Glad to be representing SFFS!

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Lisa Lundgren
    Keymaster

Did everyone who presented receive the email about uploading your powerpoint to the conference website? I just uploaded mine! It’s fairly quick. Uploading these powerpoints is a great opportunity to show the diversity of projects that amateurs and professionals work on. 

For examples of what an uploaded presentation looks like, you can view Linda McCall’s ( @lmccall ) powerpoint from the FOSSIL Project’s session at SEGSA 2016 at this link (click here to view). That link takes you to the FOSSIL Project’s session from SEGSA 2016. You’ll see the phrase “Handouts” and a box around the powerpoint that Linda uploaded from her 2016 talk. It’ll look the same for all the talks that are uploaded from this year’s NC/NE GSA session.

Thanks, Jack ( @jkallmeyer ) for the email about powerpoints which got me thinking about this.

Related to NE/NC GSA: Stay tuned on social media–we’ll be posting an album of photos soon. If you have photos you’d like to add, please message me–  @kyle-hartshorn @cferrara @lmccall @lcone I saw y’all taking photos! 😉

Presenters who’d be interested in uploaded (who I haven’t tagged in this post yet!): @jason-schein @bill-shankle @john-westgaard @derek-anderson @vperez @jayson-kowinsky @egardner @bmacfadden

Jayson Kowinsky
    Participant

Just uploaded mine!

@llundgren

Eleanor Gardner

Awesome, @jayson-kowinsky!  Thanks for doing that.  I believe @jkallmeyer is considering uploading his ppt presentation.  I hope others will do so, too!

@bmacfadden
    – since you were first author on our presentation, you’d be the one who received the email Lisa is referring to with the upload instructions.  If you forward that email to me, I can upload our presentation if you’d like. 🙂

Jack Kallmeyer

@llundgren, @egardner, @jayson-kowinsky, @cferrara. I finally uploaded mine although I wonder how people can interpret it without my eloquent verbal explanations? 🙂

Lisa Lundgren
    Keymaster

I was wondering about that too for mine, @jkallmeyer. I copied my speaking notes into the “notes” section of the powerpoint I uploaded, so maybe that’ll help people!

Jack Kallmeyer

@llundgren  That’s a good idea.  I don’t use notes as I just use the slides to remind me of what I am going to say.  My talk wasn’t full of data and analytical stuff either so I can get away with that.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.