Paleo paleontology

Homepage Forums Ideas for New Forums Paleo paleontology

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Hunter Thurmond
    Participant

Is anyone else interested in scientists of the past? I personally enjoy reading about and discussing the lives of scientists who did amazing things or pushed the brink forward.  So in specific a forum about paleontologists of the past, or the evolution of paleontology.

Eleanor Gardner

@hunter-thurmond – This is an interesting idea.  We already have a “spotlights” topic on terrific women in paleontology, under the Women in Paleontology forum.  I wonder who else might be interested in your forum idea?  Who would make regular posts and be the moderator?

What do you think, @michelle-barboza, @joyce-drakeford, @jkallmeyer, @lcone, @lmccall, @msmith, @rodney-wise ?

Jack Kallmeyer

@michelle-barboza, @joyce-drakeford, lcone, @lmccall, @msmith, @rodney-wise, @hunter-thurmond   Here in Cincinnati we have had many locally and nationally famous paleontologists.  These have been thoroughly researched and bios published in the book, “Sea Without Fish” by David Meyer and Richard Davis.  I would direct people interested in these folks  to check out this book.  It is available on Amazon and from the University of Indiana Press.

Hunter Thurmond
    Participant

Why not have a general history of paleontology with a subforum on women and a subforum on men, instead of a forum on women with subforums on general history and a subforum on men? Seems a little off balance to me.  But that being said, I loved reading about Mary Anning, people like her are exactly the kind of people I like reading about; ie rehydrating fossil ink to illustrate icthyasaur diagrams!

Eleanor Gardner

@hunter-thurmond – I think you may have misunderstood my earlier comment.

We have a general Women in Paleontology forum (with many different topics) in order to promote women, who are underrepresented in the earth sciences, and in order to provide a discussion location for folks interested in our Spring 2017 Women in Paleontology webinar series. (Note that our next webinar on Feb 22 features Dr. Brenda Hunda, the curator of invertebrate paleontology at the Cincinnati Museum Center — you should attend!)

A history of paleontology forum would be welcome if enough community members show interest.

Michelle Barboza
    Participant

@hunter-thurmond @egardner I like this idea – the history science (earth science in this case, and the scientists who pushed it along) is something I try to read about in my spare time! I can’t commit to being a moderator, but I would be certainly be a regular reader. This does overlap with our Women in Paleontology forum, but I suppose we could cross post! Perhaps we could make this a more broad forum – “history of paleontology,” perhaps? Then we could focus on general paleontology history in addition to specific scientists. I would really like to learn more about paleontologists of color, and the history of paleontology in non-western countries.

sammy miller
    Participant

can anybody help me out on a turtle fossil i found

Elise Felt
    Participant

@sammy-miller try posting a photo of it in the “What is it?” group if you haven’t already! I will link it here for you.

Home – What is it? – myFOSSIL

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.