Sponge, Bryozoa or Brain!!!

Homepage Forums What Is It? Sponge, Bryozoa or Brain!!!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Lance Comfort
    Participant

Found this recently on Myrtle Beach while searching for fossils.  Thought at first was a sponge or Bryozoa until everyone started saying it looked like a brain (right!!!).  Here are a couple of pictures and some magnified images and would appreciate any help.  I can’t see typical Zooid but more of what appears to be tangles (sorry for poor descriptions).  Fossil is 5cm by 5cm by 3.5cm. Any help is greatly appreciated.  Thanks….Lance

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Jack Kallmeyer

@lance-comfort  I presume this is mineralized?  Certainly looks interesting.  You might want to ask @lmccall since she is in your area.  Maybe she has seen something like that.

Linda McCall
    Participant

I am at a loss…..

Jim Chandler
    Participant

How heavy is it?  Does it float?

Lance Comfort
    Participant

@jkallmeyer @lmccall @jim-chandler It is fossilized.  Does not Float.  Heavy, 96 grams.  Here are a couple more pics

Attachments:
    Linda McCall
    Participant

Wow. I am still flummoxed – but I see why you might think brain….., though I’m going to nix that. Might it be some kind of ossified bone? Fish can get some pretty weird ossified bone.

Jim Chandler
    Participant

Lance,

I agree it looks like some kind of bone, especially in your close up views.  Look at this website showing microscopic images of bones.  https://www.pinterest.com/pin/311241024224539876/

Some place like the Smithsonian could help you to identify it.  Keep us posted.

Jim

Lance Comfort
    Participant

@jkallmeyer @lmccall @jim-chandler  With your help I believe I have figured this one out.  I believe it is a fossil Tilly Bone (Hyperostosic Bone) from a large bony fish.  What do you think.  Here is a magnified picture from http://lakeneosho.org/Fossil/index.html, which looks very similar to mine.  Thanks….Lance

Attachments:
    Linda McCall
    Participant

I think you nailed it!

Jack Kallmeyer

@lance-comfort  @lmccall @jim-chandler  Lance, I had to look that ID up on Google.  I’m an invertebrate guy.  After looking up Tilly Bone and the more technical term I was still unsure if this thing is some kind of normal fish part or a pathological one.  Anyway, a very interesting find.

Jack

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.