Unknown Belgrade bone

Homepage Forums What Is It? Unknown Belgrade bone

Tagged: , , , ,

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Joyce Drakeford
    Participant

I have been reading and researching this for almost a year. I had posted it a year ago because I was told it was Alligator, y’all confirmed it wasn’t but couldn’t give additional info because the pics aren’t great.  I’m wondering now if it isn’t seal. It was collected from Belgrade in May 2016. It seems a bit large for a bird bone. I know partial bones make it harder to identify so I’ve taken several more close photos for assistance.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Joyce Drakeford
    Participant

Additional photos

Attachments:
    Joyce Drakeford
    Participant

Final photos

Attachments:
    Eleanor Gardner

Hmm. I wonder if @rboessenecker, @vperez, or @smoran might be able to help?

Joyce Drakeford
    Participant

Hoping to bump this back up since I didn’t hear anything about it. Thanks!

Eleanor Gardner

Oops!  Sorry @joyce-drakeford!  I agree we need a consensus on this.  @vperez, @rboessenecker, @rnarducci, @rleder — any ideas??

Bobby Boessenecker
    Participant

Hi all,

One possibility for this bone is a phalanx of a primitive mysticete or odontocete. The flattened articular surface is characteristic of Neoceti. Archaeocetes like Eocene basilosauridae (e.g. Dorudon atrox, shown here – from Uhen, 2004) have quite narrow elongate metacarpals and phalanges, unlike extant Neoceti.

This is surprisingly skinny for a neocete, but we’ve got many primitive Neoceti from the Oligocene of Charleston without well-preserved flippers. Most actually lack flippers, so anything is possible.

Attachments:
    Joyce Drakeford
    Participant

Thanks @rboessenecker! Definitely the close ups of the attached photo look very similar. What threw me was the flattened or pinched appearance. And it’s so small in circumference I never would’ve thought whale! 🙂

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.