What's this spooky fossil?

Homepage Forums What Is It? What's this spooky fossil?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Lisa Lundgren
    Keymaster

Happy Halloween, myFOSSIL friends. Let’s play a game while waiting for trick-or-treaters to arrive! Anyone giving out fossils instead of candy this year??

Have a story about fossil collecting on Halloween?

How about fossil that is “spooky?”

Post your spooky fossil here, describing some aspect of it. The catch: DON’T identify it! The community will work to ID it based on some clues you give!

I’ll go first to get it started.

Here’s a spooky fossil for the What is it Halloween forum. The “spooky” aspect comes from the deformity–the waves on the edges of this fossil. Some people who have been to Gordon Hubbel’s collection (@vperez, @rleder) , or who came to the PaleoBlitz in March 2016 (@joyce-drakeford, @mary-harbison, @julie-niederkorn, @gail-fazzina, @scoller, @cathy-young, @jon-cartier, @michael-reagin, @william-znidarsic, @joy-rushing, @david-hanes, @rlangford, @paul-fazzina) might recognize this fossil!

Your turn to tell your spooky fossil story and share your spookiest fossil!

What is it?

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Julie Niederkorn
    Participant

That fossil was one of my many favorites at Gordon Hubbels’ house.  I don’t have a spooky fossil but I do have a spooky fossil pumpkin.

Attachments:
    Eleanor Gardner

Fun forum thread, @llundgren!  I have insider knowledge about the tooth you posted, so I won’t answer because it feels like cheating 😉

@julie-niederkorn
    – Very nice jack-o-fossil (lol)!  What kind of adhesive did you use to attach the teeth?

Below is my “spooky” fossil.  The image is unfortunately fuzzy and lacking anything for scale (sorry!) because I was taking the picture through display glass at the Big Bone Lick State Park welcome center/museum.  @cferrara, @lcone, @willis-dc, and others who went to the park prior to the Cincinnati Mini Conference this past June might recognize it!

Hints:

(1) Ice Age megafauna.

(2) The prominent hole would have been painful for the large herbivore to receive.

(3) The carnivore who inflicted the bite hole was a member of the family Ursidae.

Attachments:
    Lee Cone
    Participant

Happy Halloween –  you ladies are too funny!!  Thanks for en”lightening” our day.  I have never seen a Meg tooth that had such deformation.

Julie Niederkorn
    Participant

I was going to guess “Big Foot”  until you mentioned the family Ursidae.

To make my pumpkin I attached the teeth with stiff wire bent like staples.  No tooth was harmed :).  I didn’t use my best teeth just in case someone decided to smash it.

Lee Cone
    Participant

OK, it’s not spooky but I wanted to post this Pleistocene (maybe late Pliocene) fossilized mac and cheese from Aurora, NC.

Attachments:

@egardner: Was it a cave bear that inflicted this bite? Nice Halloween thread! @llundgren @egardner @lcone @julie-niederkorn.

Diane

Eleanor Gardner

@willis-dc – Very close!  I was told that the mammoth skull fragment pictured had a bite hole from Arctodus simus (North American giant short-faced bear).  I believe true cave bears from the Pleistocene lived in Europe.  Wouldn’t have wanted to encounter either species, personally!

@lcone
    – lol at “fossilized mac and cheese!”  I’ve never heard that phrase used to describe serpulid worm colonies!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.