FAQs for Workshop Applicants and Participants
What are the requirements to apply for this workshop?
We are looking to recruit 20 participants to the workshop. Preference will be given to participants based on the following criteria:
1) Must be members of the myFOSSIL Community. Can be members of the myFOSSIL website, phone app, or social media accounts (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, or YouTube)
2) Applicants must be traveling within the United States. Applicants must be 18 years or older.
3) Applicant has not participated in previous myFOSSIL sponsored activities. However, previous participants will not be instantly disqualified, so please still apply!
4) Applicant is affiliated with a fossil club or organization from a less well-known area like Montana or New Mexico.
5) Applicant has access to and can travel with the necessary tools and technology to the workshop. Required items for workshop are small fossils (with locality data) from the applicant’s private collection that will fit in luggage, as well as some form of digital camera (smart phone camera, inexpensive digital camera, high end digital camera, etc.) a laptop to use image enhancing software and uploading to the myFOSSIL e-museum.
When will I be notified of acceptance into the workshop?
Applicant notifications will begin the first week of May 2019.
Can my spouse/partner/friend attend the workshop?
Unfortunately, we only have enough funds to cover hotel and travel for selected participants. If your spouse/partner/friend would like to travel to Gainesville, they will be responsible for their own travel and accommodation costs. Additionally, spouses/partners/friends will be unable to join the workshop, due to the limited number of participant spaces available, but they are welcome to join us on the collecting trip to Rattlesnake Creek.
Can my child attend the workshop?
No, we cannot provide any childcare accommodations during the trip.
What is the trip schedule?
Wednesday, July 17, 2019
Travel to Gainesville, FL.
Thursday, July 18, 2019
First day of workshop. Will focus on photography and lighting basics, as well as an introduction to image manipulating software. Lunch will be provided
Friday, July 19, 2019
Second day of workshop. Will spend the first half of the day at Rattlesnake Creek, collecting fossils, and practicing photographic techniques. Second half of the day will be spent furthering skills on software, as well as learning how to upload to the myFOSSIL e-museum. Lunch will be provided.
Saturday, July 20, 2019
Third and final day of the workshop. Most of the day will be spent uploading specimens to the e-museum and answering participant questions. Lunch will be provided.
Sunday, July 21, 2019
Travel back home.
I have other obligations on this week, can I attend a different trip?
The trip award is non-exchangeable, non-transferable, and is not redeemable for cash or another trip. You may choose not to attend, and we can select another individual to attend in your place.
What are the lodging accommodations?
Participants will stay in double occupancy hotel rooms, with like-gender roommates.
How will food work on the trip?
- Wednesday- Meals on your own, will be reimbursed following University of Florida’s per diem guidelines, after the trip is complete.
- Thursday-Breakfast is on your own and subject to reimbursement, lunch will be provided, and dinner will be on your own, subject to reimbursement.
- Friday- Breakfast is on your own and subject to reimbursement, lunch will be provided, and dinner will be on your own, subject to reimbursement.
- Saturday- Breakfast is on your own and subject to reimbursement, lunch will be provided, and dinner will be on your own, subject to reimbursement.
- Sunday-Meals on your own, will be reimbursed following University of Florida’s per diem guidelines, after the trip is complete.
Will I be able to collect fossils for myself, to take home?
One of the goals of the workshop is to collect fossils that advance scientific research through photographic quality on the myFOSSIL e-museum. We therefore expect that fossils that pertain to this research will be collected by the citizen scientists (you) for the purpose of uploading to the e-museum. You are free to collect during the creek trip for your personal collection.
Would I be able to return to the creek on my own some other time?
A Florida Fossil Collecting Permit can be purchased through the Florida Museum of Natural History’s website (link: https://www.floridamuseum.ufl.edu/vertpaleo/amateur-collector/fossil-permit). Any trips outside of this workshop will be done on your own time, expense, and liability. All workshop participants will be expected to follow Florida fossil collecting rules (see link above).
I would like to stay in Gainesville for longer than the designated trip, is this possible?
Yes, however you will be responsible for the additional lodging costs incurred during your prolonged stay. Please let us know that you intend to do this before we make your travel arrangements.
What will I need to pack?
- For the creek collecting trip, you will be required to wear shoes that you are comfortable getting wet. We recommend closed-toed, rubber-soled shoes as there can be broken glass found in the creek bed. You will also want to pack close that you are comfortable getting wet, swimsuits are not recommended. We also recommend you bring a hat and sunglasses as the sun can be fierce.
For the rest of the workshop, casual attire or business casual attire will suffice. Please keep in mind that Gainesville is hot and humid during July, with daily rain storms in the late afternoon. As we will be spending time indoors, a light sweater is recommended.
Bringing sunscreen and a rain jacket will help you enjoy your trip, no matter the weather!
- Participants will be asked to bring a device to take pictures with, either a smart phone with a camera, a point and shoot digital camera, or a more advanced camera. There is no need to purchase a fancy digital camera for this workshop.
Participants will also be asked to bring their own laptop. Laptops will be used to manipulate images with software, as well as to upload fossils to the myFOSSIL e-museum. Applicants are not disqualified if they do not have access to a laptop. We do not have enough laptops for all participants, but case-by-case arrangements may be possible. Please inquire if you do not have your own laptop.
- Participants will be asked to bring a small sample of their personal fossil curation to practice the photography and software techniques. We ask that you bring no more than 10-20 individual pieces whose weight does not exceed 5 pounds, as they will need to travel with your regular luggage. Applicants are not disqualified if they do not have access to fossils. All fossils collected during the creek trip will be for the participant to keep for their own private collection and utilize during the workshop.