Reply To: Women in Paleo – Spotlights

Homepage Forums Women in Paleontology Forum Women in Paleo – Spotlights Reply To: Women in Paleo – Spotlights

Michelle Barboza
Participant

@taorminalepore – ah shucks, thank you! I’m really excited about the next episode, which marks the start of guests on the podcast! The subject of the episode is environmentalist Rachel Carson, and I’ll be joined by ecologist Priya Shukla of the UC Davis Marine Lab. She’s a rad woman of color who runs a project called the Prosaic Mosaic, which is all about highlighting diversity in STEM.

Speaking of which, I think this is a good time to put a spotlight on a rad WOC in the paleontology sector: Thea Boodhoo. Thea is a writer and content designer who has collaborated with several paleontologists on digital outreach projects. These projects include a site about the fossil taxa of the Edelman Fossil Park in New Jersey (cretaceousmantua.com), an interactive version of the quarry at Dinosaur National Monument (CarnegieQuarry.com), and the Institute for the Study of Mongolian Dinosaurs (mongoliandinosaurs.org). However, I would like to point out her latest project – a photo series highlighting paleontologists of color! The photographs were taken during the 2016 Society of Vertebrate Paleontologists meeting. Read about the project and view the photographs in this article.

Is anyone else working with female creatives for science? Let’s hear about them!