Reply To: 3D Print Lab managed by High School students

Homepage Forums 3D Fossils 3D Print Lab managed by High School students Reply To: 3D Print Lab managed by High School students

Lisa, it was totally amazing, the skull wasn’t 100% anatomically wonderful (the jaws didn’t articulate) but the surface was lifted straight from the accurate, open access digital file, uploaded by Andy Farke’s students at the Webb Schools. The student took the skull back home with him, but he was able to use it to take physical measurements of the surface when the MeshLab (3D digital) software wasn’t cooperating with him. He was using it for a year-long research project my anatomy class was doing, which I developed for them, where they had the option to write up some skeletal comparative anatomy between fossil and extant critters 😀 Really fun stuff.

Ooh. Thingaverse is another interesting avenue, I wonder if there’s a way to collaborate open access digital scans with Thingaverse?

If you’re interested in viewing the digital skulls, which work with software like MeshLab, they’re available here:

http://outboundedventurer.com/digital-scans/

@llundgren