Reply To: 3D Fossil Scan Resources

Homepage Forums 3D Fossils 3D Fossil Scan Resources Reply To: 3D Fossil Scan Resources

Claudia Grant
Participant

@bmacfadden @taorminalepore @llundgren

Hello guys, I have compiled a list of resources that offer open-source 3D files (mostly fossils, but also others that might be of interest). The list will be updated at: http://www.paleoteach.org/3d_resources/
If you have new resources, let me know and I will add to our list. My next step will be to compile open source software to read 3D files, then I will move on to scanners and printer. Stay tuned!
MorphoSource
MorphoSource is a project-based data archive that allows researchers to store and organize, share, and distribute their own 3d data. Furthermore any registered user can immediately search for and download 3d morphological data sets that have been made accessible through the consent of data authors.
Paleobiology and Fossil Whales: Webcast and Teaching Resources
Dr. Nick Pyenson is a paleontologist at the National Museum of Natural History. Join him in uncovering fossil whales in Panama, Canada, and Chile. Probe into the evolutionary mysteries contained in fossil whale skeletons. Download Smithsonian X3D: 3D model of a Cerro Ballena whale

Smithsonian X3D
Smithsonian X 3D launches a set of use cases which apply various 3D capture methods to iconic collection objects, as well as scientific missions. These projects indicate that this new technology has the potential not only to support the Smithsonian mission, but to transform museum core functions.
Virtual Fossils
Virtual Fossils is a free online atlas of ancient organisms, consisting of interactive 3-D computer reconstructions of fossils, together with information about their significance for understanding the history of life. Many of the virtual fossils on this site were produced using computed tomography.

Digital Morphology
The Digital Morphology library is a dynamic archive of information on digital morphology and high-resolution X-ray computed tomography of biological specimens. Browse through the site and see spectacular imagery and animations and details on the morphology of many representatives of the Earth’s biota.

Inside-Zoo
Inside-Zoo is a site dedicated to the marvelous world of animal anatomy and physiology. By applying modern medical imaging techniques (MR, CT, PET, US) they have generated an ever growing library of anatomical data from both well-known and exotic species. Providing images, movies, interactive models and 3D-print-files of animal anatomy and physiology they seek to aid our fellow researchers in their quest to understand how animals function and capture the imagination of the layman.
The First 3D Atlas of the Extinct Dodo
The dodo represents one of the best-known examples of extinction caused by humans, yet we know surprisingly little about this flightless pigeon from a scientific perspective. Now, for the first time since its extinction, a 3-D atlas of the skeletal anatomy of the dodo has been created, based upon two exceptional dodo skeletons that have remained unstudied for over a century.

NASA 3D Resources
Here you’ll find a growing collection of 3D models, textures, and images from inside NASA. All of these resources are free to download and use.

Thingiverse
MakerBot’s Thingiverse is a thriving design community for discovering, making, and sharing 3D printable things. As the world’s largest 3D printing community, we believe that everyone should be encouraged to create and remix 3D things, no matter their technical expertise or previous experience. In the spirit of maintaining an open platform, all designs are encouraged to be licensed under a Creative Commons license, meaning that anyone can use or alter any design.