Reply To: Dean et al. (2017) Preservational Bias Controls the Fossil Record of Pterosaurs

Homepage Forums Open Access Papers Dean et al. (2017) Preservational Bias Controls the Fossil Record of Pterosaurs Reply To: Dean et al. (2017) Preservational Bias Controls the Fossil Record of Pterosaurs

Eleanor Gardner

Late to the conversation on the pterosaur paper, @llundgren, my apologies.  Having done this type of review paper myself (but on the avian fossil record), I agree that a “Lagerstätten effect” likely impacts our understanding of many fossil taxa, including pterosaurs, birds, and amphibians.  It is not surprising that the statistical analyses in this study showed that completeness of specimens through time was influenced by Lagerstätten distribution.  However, because in my study I found that avian fossil specimens from Lagerstätten were much more likely to represent locations and time periods with warm and humid climates compared to cool and/or dry climates, I would be interested to know the climate data for the pterosaur Lagerstätten sites (many of which I’ll bet are the same as the bird sites).

Also, an off-topic word of caution: the PaleobioDB is not error-free.  I found a variety of instances where formation, age, environment, or other information had been keyed into the database incorrectly.  That meant that my coauthors and I had the pleasure of carefully reading each of the 398 publications included in our study and making our own database (no small task!).