A little help with this brachipod, please…

Homepage Forums What Is It? A little help with this brachipod, please…

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Nathan Newell
    Participant

Hi, everybody! Can anybody help me with identifying this brachiopod? It’s in pretty good shape (at least, for the stuff I’ve found) and I’d love to know what species it is. The link below has more pics. Thanks!

https://www.myfossil.org/fossils/36228/images/

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Charlie Smith
    Participant

Hello Nathan,

First of all, nice Brachiopod; I like how its perched on the matrix.  After searching on fossilworks.org for Rhynchonellata (Brachiopods) in the Tonoloway Limestone from West Virginia, it revealed 4 species: H. congregata, C. litchfieldensis, S. zanuxemi, and S. keyserensis. The last two species, both belonging to the genus Spirifer, seem to be the most likely candidates. Spirifer often shows a broad sulcus in the middle of the brachiopod, which is also shown in your fossil.  Out of these two species, I believe its Spirifer keyserensis, as Spirifer zanuxemi has been compared to a slightly more common Brachiopod, Spirifer cyclopterous, in this paper. However, the same paper contrasts the 2 by stating S. zanuxemi has less plications than S. cyclopterous.  Judging from this Yale specimen, S. Cyclopterous has much fewer plications than your fossil, so I doubt it is S. zanuxemi.

Nathan Newell
    Participant

Wow! Thanks so much, @charlie-smith! And thanks for sharing your search process, that will help me with trying to ID fossils myself. 🙂

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.