Badlands turtles

Homepage Forums K-12 Fossils and Lessons Forum Badlands turtles

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Bruce MacFadden
    Keymaster

Dave Ellingson from Oregon, one of the teachers who participated in the Nebraska Badlands trip, collected parts of a turtle shell. Here is a photo of his middle school earth science students putting the turtle back together.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Lee Cone
    Participant

Dave- what a great exercise for your students and a clever way to help solve the jigsaw puzzle problems that would exist by simply collecting the shell material.  The in situ photographs certainly help serve as a key and the clay mound offers the 3-D look, as well.  Very innovative lesson.

Eleanor Gardner

Lee @lcone – Would you be willing to reach out to Dave and invite him to participate in myFOSSIL? We’d love to have his input in this forum and in other areas of the website! Dave’s email address is [email protected]. Tell him to sign up via the registration form on the landing page! 🙂

Lee Cone
    Participant

Eleanor @egardner          I sent Dave a personal invitation and think that he will be a great addition to myFossil and the Forum.

David Ellingson
    Participant

I had a student finish the turtle shell reconstruction. It was a more difficult than we thought, but I think I can still use it for teaching.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Bruce MacFadden
    Keymaster

@dellingson @cgrant

Hi Dave–Could you send me the info on the clip-on microscope for the ipad that you had in the badlands?

Thanks, Bruce

Lisa Lundgren
    Keymaster

@kcrippen and I used a cheaper version of the one that Dave had for some PD a few weeks ago. I think @dellingson had the Olloclip: https://www.olloclip.com Kent and I used these: http://www.amazon.com/Mpow-Clip-On-Supreme-Fisheye-Smartphones/dp/B00QXT58JA/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top?ie=UTF8
    They were great for the PD event. Teachers used it for the website iNaturalist and to look at Aurora fossil matrix that @vperez provided!

David Ellingson
    Participant

I bought the attachment at Best Buy. It was on the rack with ipad accessories. I tried looking on their web site, but couldn’t figure out what to call it. I’ve seen them there since I bought it. It was around $60.

Dave

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.