Brach on coral?

Homepage Forums What Is It? Brach on coral?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Hunter Thurmond
    Participant

I’d like to identify as much of this as possible, any help would be appreciated. It was found at a site reported to be mahantango formation. It was found as float.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Jack Kallmeyer

@hunter-thurmond I would need a much closer shot of this to figure out what it is on.  Can you do that?

Eleanor Gardner

As we saw before, @jayson-kowinsky is familiar with this formation, so he may be able to help you with ID.

Jayson Kowinsky
    Participant

Hello,

This is a cluster of poorly preserved spiriferid brachiopods.   They are found in clusters on occasion.

As to what type (genus) they are, I have no clue.  There are lots of types and these ones are too worn to see any of the genus specific traits.

I attached a picture tracing them out on your image, and also an image of a similar cluster of better preserved ones from a different local.

The other side of it, it looks like that could be a piece of brachiopod impression (the ridges area).  The rest of it may have a bryozoan colony growing on it, those tiny little bumpy thingys (to be technical).

Later,

Attachments:
    Hunter Thurmond
    Participant

@jkallmeyer I can’t get my iphone to focus much closer than that. The only other option is a series of shots through a 20x hand loop at different focus depths. I am in the process of acquiring a better camera so in the future I will have better shots. For now here is some of the side which might be a bryozoan. The second photo is 40x

Attachments:
    Jack Kallmeyer

@hunter-thurmond With those views it brings two things to mind: A encrusting coral or a stromatoporoid.  It may take someone familiar with your area to be definitive on this after seeing the specimen in person. I have attached a close-up photo of an encrusting coral from here.  It has more preserved detail but it does have a similar shape.

Attachments:
    Jayson Kowinsky
    Participant

@hunter-thurmond

I’m still going to say it’s a Bryozoan colony encrusting the bottom part of your spiriferid fossils.

Lisa Lundgren
    Keymaster

@hunter-thurmond if you’re looking for an inexpensive option to take close up shots of fossils with your iPhone, I can’t recommend the mPow lens kits enough. They are very affordable, and clip onto your phone camera lens. I know that some folks take issue with the fact that it can “bend” the image, but it does a pretty job good for the price tag.

Amazon link for mPow lens: http://a.co/hUO9I7O

Link to picture of fossils taken with mPow lenses: http://www.myfossil.org/fossils/13299/  Microfossil from Vevay, IN

@tmorgan
    might have a suggestion as she uses an interesting set up/attachment on her smartphone, if I remember correctly. @dellingson also uses iPhone lens attachments, and took some fantastic photos of fossils using his set up during a field trip in Nebraska, so he might want to chime in, too.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.