Can someone please help me with these specimens?

Homepage Forums What Is It? Can someone please help me with these specimens?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Jen Welsh
    Participant

Can someone please help me with these specimens? Found in Holliston, MA.  The width ranges from 14-15mm
    The thickness ranges from 1/4″ – 6mm.
    Likes are really nice, but comments are even better. Thank you. 😊😊😊

Jen Welsh
    Participant

Can someone please help me with these specimens? Found in Holliston, MA.  The width ranges from 14-15mm
    The thickness ranges from 1/4″ – 6mm.
    Likes are really nice, but comments are even better. Thank you. 😊😊😊

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Jen Welsh
    Participant

@ myFossil

I’m suspecting that these specimens are fossilized tree branch pieces. Please watch my video below.

Jen Welsh
    Participant

@myFossil

I’m sorry. I meant petrified.

MacKenzie Smith
    Participant

Hi Jen,

Do you know how old they are? And did they come from a creek/spoil pile or the rock/ground? From what I’ve read I don’t know of known fossil localities from the area but I’ve also never been to MA.

I don’t see any cell structure in the cross section that would indicate that this is plant material. Another possibility are the casts of burrows (the burrow fills).

Jen Welsh
    Participant

If it’s petrified (or fossilized in case I’m wrong). And if they are ancient tree branch pieces I’d say they are about 230 million years old maybe more or less. I found these in Holliston’s old railroads across from Lowland St. in 2008 before it got converted into a walking/biking trail. Massachusetts is mostly Triassic with some plant fossils, trilos and shells.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Jen Welsh
    Participant

There’s also a book nearby where I found them if that’s any help to you guys.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.