Curation of Personal Collections

Homepage Forums Digitizing, Photographing, and Curating Fossils Curation of Personal Collections

Viewing 4 posts - 21 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Evan Walsh
    Participant

Most of my specimens I generally purchase, since I specialize in vertebrates, are there are not many open private land sites with those in colorado, and are from locations such as the Hell Creek Fm. of SD, WY, and MT. When I do field hunt, I have a few sites I like to go to. One really neat one I have been to was a Lower (Early) Ordovician site near Pikes Peak, CO, where there are small to medium sized trilobites in pinkish orange dolomite rock. I generally collect all the trilobites since they are somewhat rare, but most of the brachiopods and cystoid echinoderm stems, I left.

Eleanor Gardner

Thanks for sharing, @evan-walsh.  I wonder if you’ve gotten connected with @walter-stein or @jason-schein?  I know that they both frequently take groups out for digs, and that many of the specimens go to research institutions.

Jason Schein
    Participant
    Evan Walsh
    Participant

I have been on one dig with PaleoAdventures, Walter’s company. It was pretty fun and I got to keep some really neat stuff. However I unfortunatley cant do that kind of stuff regularly, since most dinosaur digs, even a few on the western slope in CO, are at least 6 to 8 hrs away from where I live

Viewing 4 posts - 21 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.