Devonian of Pennsylvania

Homepage Forums What Is It? Devonian of Pennsylvania

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Bruce MacFadden
    Keymaster

One of our volunteers showed us these Devonian fossils from Pennsylvania. He could ID the brachiopods, but was wondering what are the internal molds from?

Not being a Devonian person since I was an undergraduate in upstate NY more than 45 years ago, my knowledge of fossils from that region is rusty.

I will pass your thoughts on to Peter. Thanks–Bruce

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Asa Kaplan
    Participant

Bruce, the internal molds in the bottom slab appear to be brachiopod as well, probably Athyris or a related genus. Not sure of the species. Love seeing them all in apparent life position.

For reference: https://www.google.com/search?q=athyris+mold+cast&safe=off&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjSudOi5-fPAhXFcD4KHQhSAZ0Q_AUICCgB&biw=1094&bih=672

Bruce MacFadden
    Keymaster

Thanks Asa for this feedback.  I will pass it on to Peter, who found the fossils.

Jayson Kowinsky
    Participant

Hello, @asa-kaplan @bmacfadden

This may be a bit late, but the type of preservation and color look a lot like fossils from the Mahantango Formation that pops up throughout central Pennsylvania… If he was wondering what formation they may have come from.

Bruce MacFadden
    Keymaster

@jayson-kowinsky

Thanks Jayson–this is helpful additional information.

Hope all is well, Bruce

Jack Kallmeyer

@asa-kaplan @bmacfadden  @jayson-kowinsky   We have brachs that look like that here in Ohio.  The ones you show as molds are dead ringers for the Silurian Pentamerus sp pictured in Fossils of Ohio.  We do not have a Devonian one here that looks like that.  The Treatise shows Pentamerus is only Silurian although the Pentameridae do range into the Devonian. So perhaps yours are in that group. – Jack

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.