Early Women in Paleontology

Homepage Forums Women in Paleontology Forum Early Women in Paleontology

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    John Christian

Check out this article about women who made important contributions to paleontology even though they were not allowed to join most scientific organizations. Pay special attention to the field collecting attire of both the men and women while on an outing; I could not imagine wearing these while collecting in Florida or Texas during the summer. At least the man on the far left looks a little more prepared with his pants pulled up and carrying a bag. I wonder if he had a tie?

https://paleonerdish.wordpress.com/2016/10/19/forgotten-women-of-paleontology-the-newnham-quartet/

Michelle Barboza
    Participant

Wow, thanks for the share @john-christian! I’ve been doing some research into historical women of paleo, but had never before heard of the Newnham Quartet. This jut reinforces my desire/the need for a book about early women in paleontology!

The blog you linked to, “Letters from Gondwana,” also has a great article on historical paleobotanist Mary Stopes. You can find the article here: https://paleonerdish.wordpress.com/2015/06/22/marie-stopes-and-her-legacy-as-paleobotanist/

Michelle Barboza
    Participant

A great place to learn about historical women in American paleontology is “Daring to Dig.” The outreach project is run by The Museum of Earth at the Paleontological Research Institution (PRI) in Ithica, New York, and was recently (Fall 2016) awarded a grant from the Museums for America program to expand the currently online program into a traveling exhibit. You can visit the program online at DaringtoDig.com for a brief history of women in American paleontology, profiles on historical women in paleontology (1700s+), and profiles on current women in paleontology.

Learn more about the project by checking out this article from the Ithica Voice.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.