“Ears” on side of Chubutensis root

Homepage Forums What Is It? “Ears” on side of Chubutensis root

Tagged: 

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    James Ellsworth
    Participant

Dear myFossil members,

I recently found a wonderful Otodus/Carcharocles Chubutensis at Calvert Cliffs State Park. I uploaded it to this website here: https://www.myfossil.org/dwc-specimen/85631/

I also posted it to the Fossil Forum, where a number of people remarked about the “ears” on the side of the root of the tooth. I am now super curious about what it is, since I rarely see it on other teeth I find. Does anyone happen to know what it is?

I hope you dont mine me tagging you, but maybe <span class=”atwho-inserted” contenteditable=”false” data-atwho-at-query=”@victor”>@vperez</span> could help out? I read your paper on Megalodon tooth evolution, and it was very informative. I understand you are a Calvert Cliffs meg tooth expert, any help with this would be greatly appreciated!

Regards,

James

James Ellsworth
    Participant

@vperez Looks like the original tag didnt work

James Ellsworth
    Participant

Dear Mr. Perez,

Thank you for the response!! I realized I was not being very clear. I meant to say the bumps on the side of the bone, just below the cusplets. Here is a picture:

Regards,

James

<span class=”atwho-query”>@vperez</span>

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    James Ellsworth
    Participant

Looks like the original tag is not working again: <span class=”atwho-query”>@vperez</span>

Victor Perez
    Participant

Hi <span class=”atwho-inserted” contenteditable=”false” data-atwho-at-query=”@james-e”>@james-ellsworth</span>, I see what you are referring to now. I have certainly taken note of this feature before and I know others have as well; however, as far as I know, no one has really provided an explanation for this feature and I don’t think there is any official scientific terminology for it either. I suppose the slight hook shape could aid in anchoring the root within the jaw. I wish I had more answers for you, but this one still remains a mystery.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.