Favorite Memories of Last Year's PaleoBlitz

Homepage Forums PaleoBlitz Forum Favorite Memories of Last Year's PaleoBlitz

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Jeanette Pirlo
    Keymaster
    Joyce Drakeford
    Participant

It’s hard to pick one. I’ve made friends and contacts I hope to have the rest of my life. That was my first time in Florida so I thought it was amazing! And getting to meet Gordon Hubbell and seeing his collection was something I got to check off my bucket list! It changed the way I look at what I love to do. Instead of just collecting fossils I get to have a more scientific objective.

Jeanette Pirlo
    Keymaster

@joyce-drakeford I know the feeling of touring Gordon’s collection! I was in awe the first time there and it took me hours to get through everything!  If you get a chance to come back to florida, you should sign up for some dig time at the museum’s dig site at Montbrook!

Cathy Young
    Participant

Everything was great.  The curation part of PaleoBlitz has gotten me to start seriously curating my collection – including taking pictures of at least 1 of each species.  The behind-the-scenes tour of Collections at the Museum was fabulous.  I have been behind the scenes in Vertebrate Paleo at The Academy of Natural Sciences in Philadelphia many times, but they don’t have much Pleistocene material.  Gordon Hubbell’s collection was unbelievable.  Absolutely amazing!  And, it was also fun collecting in the creek in Gainesville.  I also met and made many new friends.

Eleanor Gardner

@jeanette-pirlo – Great topic!  My favorite PaleoBlitz memory was seeing everyone come back from the field site, happy and muddy and excited about fossils.  @cathy-young and @joyce-drakeford, I am so glad to hear that the PaleoBlitz made a significant impact for you and how you approach paleontology! 🙂

Jon Cartier
    Participant

My favorite memory of the PaleoBlitz was touring the Labs and fossil storage room. This is something that helps connect amateurs to the professional world. It helps with understanding why the curation of your collection is so important.

Well done!!

Jeanette Pirlo
    Keymaster

@jon-cartier it’s great to hear that you found the collections tour helpful!  My first tour taught me how to best curate my own specimens and the information I need to gather the next time I go collecting.  Thanks for your input!

Julie Niederkorn
    Participant

Sorry for the late response, I was on vacation and did not have access to the internet.  I have many fond memories of the PaleoBlitz!  Meeting so many wonderful people with similar interests, the tours, the collecting in the creek, it was all terrific.  The PaleoBlitz has encouraged me to keep better records, and inspired me to do more outreach activities.  I hope to see you all at the Aurora Fossil Festival!

Jeanette Pirlo
    Keymaster

@julie-niederkorn what kind of outreach activities have you done? Are they ones that you go out and participate in, or set up yourself?  A few of us will be heading up to the Aurora Fossil Festival! We’re excited to go!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.