Fossil Bone (Shoulder?) Caloosahatchee Formation Florida Pliocene/Pleistocene

Homepage Forums What Is It? Fossil Bone (Shoulder?) Caloosahatchee Formation Florida Pliocene/Pleistocene

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

Hi Guys,

I need your help, I was sifting for Shark teeth on Glades County, FL. And came across this specimen buried in sand/under water. I need first and foremost help on its preservation. Also if you guys could identify it would be great. Looks like a shoulder blade of a quadruped but I’m lost on what exactly it is and how old it might be.

Thank you,

Alex

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

More pics. Help.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    MacKenzie Smith
    Participant

I have a couple of ideas and one I’m leaning more to. Let me check with people who are more knowledgeable than me and get back to you.

Thank you @mackenzie-smith will wait for your response.

Sadie Mills
    Keymaster

@vperez could you take a look at this fossil?

Victor Perez
    Participant

I’m thinking maybe deer pelvis. I’m guessing it’s a subfossil and not as old as the shark teeth you were after. As for preservation, it will probably flake as it dries out, so you could use a consolidant to prevent that. At the museum, we use something called B-72. Here’s a page with more info https://www.floridamuseum.ufl.edu/vertpaleo/amateur-collector/preparation/

@vperez ice age or recent? Reviewed the bone in detail and it is solid thats why I thought older.  Yes I’ll order butbar.

MacKenzie Smith
    Participant

I agree with @vperez that it is probably deer. The obturator foramen is the same shape/proportion. The coloration makes me think Pleistocene and if it’s denser than modern bone that it most likely is Pleistocene.

@mackenzie-smith do you have any idea of possible species? Thanks!

MacKenzie Smith
    Participant

@alex-rosas Today the most common species of deer in FL is Odocoileus virginianus but I do not know which species of deer were running around during the Pleistocene.

Thanks @mackenzie-smith and @vperez from all the data I gathered  O. virginianus has not change since the Pleistocene. Can I include the specimen on PaleoPic forum as agreed?

Jacqueline Lind
    Participant

its a deer

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.