Found in a Silurian period hillside

Homepage Forums What Is It? Found in a Silurian period hillside

Tagged: 

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Bill Dunlap
    Participant

Any ideas? This is from a Silurian period hillside in the Rose Hill-Keefer formation in Western Maryland. This piece of rock is about 2 ft long and 1ft across. I thought maybe this could be a coral fossil or some kind of Bryozoa, but neither seems certain. Another possibility that came up was that it might be a ripple fossil, but others have suggested that this is probably too small for that. Any opinions? Thanks.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Jim Chandler
    Participant

Hi Bill,

It looks most likely to be ripple marks. Here are some references I found:

Ripple marks and trace fossils in the Rose Hill Formation

I would certainly contact this geology professor as he seems knowledgeable in the area.

https://ngmdb.usgs.gov/Geolex/UnitRefs/RoseHillRefs_3632.html

Of the fossils mentioned here (brachiopods, ostracodes, trilobites, and tentaculitids) it does not match most of these.  Only perhaps some ostracod marks.

https://www.osti.gov/biblio/5791090-origin-middle-silurian-keefer-sandstone-east-central-appalachian-basin

It definitely looks like it was formed on an old shoreline.

When taking pictures also try to include something for scale.  Are there any more edges of this pattern or does it pretty well cover the whole rest of the sample?

Let me know what you find out.  I have enjoyed collecting fossils in MD. It has something from every geological period.  I have attached a list of MD fossil sites were I collected in 2015.

Let me know what you find out.

Jim Chandler

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Bill Dunlap
    Participant

Jim, thanks for your thoughts and suggestions. And for all the links! I’ll follow up. And, yes, I should use something to indicate scale when I take these field photos. Thanks.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.