Found in Farmyard-Need help identifying please

Homepage Forums What Is It? Found in Farmyard-Need help identifying please

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Gail Tennant
    Participant

Hi!  Found this in our farmyard (Eastern South Dakota) while out rockhounding.  A coral of some sort – maybe?

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Jayson Kowinsky
    Participant

Hello,

Ya, it looks like coral pieces in a limestone matrix.  All the little circles look like coral polyps.

Gail Tennant
    Participant

Thank you for your input.  Do you or anyone happen to know if I should try to “clean” this up more — maybe try to remove some matrix?

James Preslicka
    Participant

What part of South Dakota was this found in? It does look like a coral, probably a Paleozoic one to my eye.  Was this near the Black Hills area?

Gail Tennant
    Participant

@JamesPreslicka

This was found in central South Dakota in Sully County where I live on our farmland.  Sully Co lies almost center of the state on the east side of the Oahe Dam.  Our farm is located 6 miles north of Onida, SD on hwy 83 and due east another 7 miles.

James Preslicka
    Participant

The bedrock in your area should be Cretaceous, but that coral bearing  rock sure looks Paleozoic to me.  It may perhaps be a glacial erratic – a piece of rock scraped up by an ice sheet during their advance, which is then left behind when the ice melts and retreats.

Timothy Carroll
    Participant

This looks like one of the cheilostomate bryozoans.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.