From Aurora, NC matrix

Homepage Forums What Is It? From Aurora, NC matrix

Tagged: ,

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Leeann Jaques
    Participant

This fossil was in a student kit I received from the Lee Creek Mine site in Aurora, NC.  I’m not sure what it is, and my colleagues and I all have differing opinions.  Those opinions include sea urchin spine, damsel fly, and plant stem/part.  I’ve compared it with a nickel in the second picture to show relative size.  A word of description – it is very thin and rectangular shaped.  Please help this amateur! 🙂

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Eleanor Gardner

Hi, @leeann-jaques!  Thanks for posting your question.  @vperez, @lcone, @lmccall, @don-muller, @julie-niederkorn — any ideas?

Lee Cone
    Participant

OK, so this is a tough one.  I can say that it’s not a sea urchin spine, nor damsel fly, nor stick, but what is it?  The picture is not detailed enough in resolution to give you a definitive answer, but I have an idea.  Does it have horizontal lines (relative to the long axis) on one side and smooth on the other.  If the answer is yes, I would say it is a single section of a stingray mouthplate assembly.  Otherwise, I would have to see a better quality picture, and I would still probably not be able to help you. LOL

Victor Perez
    Participant

I was thinking a fragment of a clam shell, but it’s difficult to say from this photo. It seems like a really small fragment and may not be identifiable.

Julie Niederkorn
    Participant

I’m sorry, I wish I could help.  I agree with the others, the photo is just not detailed enough to identify the piece.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.