Having difficulty with this one.

Homepage Forums What Is It? Having difficulty with this one.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Geoff Ruonavarra
    Participant

Hello. I’ve been trying to id as many of my specimens as possible on my own so I only post when necessary. This piece however, has plagued me for the better part of two weeks,  every time I seem to get headed down the right path I find a dead end shortly thereafter. I think I know what it is, but I’m far from qualified to lable it in any way, and rather than taint any initail thoughts, i think I’ll wait and see what people have to say. Roughly half the size of a golf ball. Found in northern michigan. I can post as many pics as needed, and with some effort, i can pretty much scope in on any part within if needed with a 30x or 60x mag and still get a quality still.  Thanks for any and all input.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Geoff Ruonavarra
    Participant

Not everyone at once lol. Anyway,  got a good scope for the weekend and ill get pics up asap,  but wanted to quick mention my unmentioned guess was in fact correct.  Anomolacaris and several other surprise creatures inside. Wondering if I can get a lead on an affordable 3d scan? Thanks.

Geoff Ruonavarra
    Participant

Still sifting through a lot of pics but here is a couple if exteriors. Two questions.

Are fossils like this relatively common?

Is this site still active?

Thanks

Attachments:
    Geoff Ruonavarra
    Participant

Ok. Last attempt here. I have seemingly endless items to go through and I guess in just wondering the commanality of well preserved Cambrian specimens.  If it’s super common. I won’t spend so much time on each one and note all specifics,  because I would never finish. If they happen to be a bit more difficult to come by, I’ll give each their do diligence.

Geoff Ruonavarra
    Participant

Getting scoped pics to show up as they do under just observing is proving a bit difficult. But surely, it is evident that some of the animals within here are almost if not completely preserved?  Every color,  and detail still visible. It looks like  the most frightening environment imaginable, with many of the animals in the middle of trying to consume one another,  one has a victim tangled in its creey elongagted tongue, while itself is in the clutches of a larger more capable beast.  Its really an amazing piece. Funny I  only came to acquire it as I mistook it for a copper replacement agate. Would be awesome if I could get any kind of info on the commonality of such fossils,  any preservation tips,  and lastly a reliable 3d digitalzation service for such an item, any and all of which would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments:
    Sadie Mills
    Keymaster

Hi @geoff-ruonavarra,

I showed your posts to several researchers here at the Florida Museum, but from the photos they could not make any identification determinations or provide a sense of commonality. Regarding 3D digitization, the best place to start would be your local university. They may be willing to work with you to scan your specimen. Sorry we couldn’t be of more help, but thanks for sharing this with our community!

Victor Perez
    Participant

Hi @geoff-ruonavarra, apologies for the slow response. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I don’t think this is a fossil. It appears to be a crystalline mineral, presumably quartz. I think the fractures within the crystal may give the impression that there is something more there, but from these photos I don’t see any indication of there being a fossil in this specimen.

Best,

Victor

Geoff Ruonavarra
    Participant

As said,  im finding it difficult to capture an image under the magnification. But i assure everyone… this is legit.  I have identified 6 different Cambrian animals within,  several i cannot as of yet,  but they are definitely in the realm of Cambrian life.  I thought my eyes must beer deceiving me at  first,  but as i carefully used 5000, 7000, 10000, and 12000 grit sanding discs to reveal a clearer picture,  unfortunately exposing one animals appendage doing so,  i realized this is a legitimate piece of history,  from what I can tell,  with unrivaled preservstion. My guess it is impact glass from a meteor landing In the ocean, or similar circumstance. I will keep working on my image capture quality,  or if there is someone here in the Wisconsin or michigan area who wouldn’t mind having a go im happy to travel.  Additionally , i have countless well preserved specimens from the same collection spot,  mostly trace,  some more impressive though, all covered in Cambrian animals.  I did a lot of digging before bothering to post here,  as I’m not one to make a fool if myself.  Im just asking for some level of open mindedness,  and i will produce the results as soon as humanly possible.

Geoff Ruonavarra
    Participant

There are more beneath the circled, just didn’t want to clutter the image too much.  The x is where i foolishly exposed part if the animal,  it was, when first exposed,  a pale, yet still very lively with what I would for lack of better term, call sea weed green,it has since faded to translucent, presumably from air exposure.

Attachments:
    Geoff Ruonavarra
    Participant

Still not the quality of image im aiming for,  but I think you’ll find its not crystalline fractures,  clearly animals are within.

Geoff Ruonavarra
    Participant

Look familiar? Same species as the largest tenant in my other piece. Not nearly as detailed, but the same, no doubt. Anomalocaris.

Attachments:
    Geoff Ruonavarra
    Participant

Not sure on the unintended capture of the lower one,  but i have many,  many of them. They are virtually found on almost every rock I examine and find visitors. Not all exact matches by any means though.  With what I presume only to be  facial features being consistent, then again,  it may not have a face at all,  looks can certainly be deceiving. Other parts like overall length and what protrudes along its sides has varied quite significantly. Nonetheless,  its presence is almost a constant.

Geoff Ruonavarra
    Participant

Found a semi satisfactory solution for now.  Dial back on the magnification,  and increase light. :-]

Attachments:
    Geoff Ruonavarra
    Participant

Anyone know how this happens?

Attachments:
    Geoff Ruonavarra
    Participant

Thought I’d put this one on here as I haven’t seen anything similar thus far in examining my increasinly large load.

Attachments:
    Evan Walsh
    Participant

I dont believe there are any exposed middle cambrian formations in mi ans even if there are, a pebble like that seems so worn that placing in a single rock layer without association, with accuracy, is very hard. My best guess is conglomerate, quartz, or maybe even coral. Some structures do appear suspiciously cnidarian. Burgess shale creatures could only be preserved as 2D stone impressions, and laagerstaten fosssilization in crystalline rock in the pebble is impossible. Still a cool rock though ☺

Geoff Ruonavarra
    Participant
    1. More crystalline fractures. Lol
    Attachments:
    Geoff Ruonavarra
    Participant

Thoughts on this? Looks like one animal till scoped in, then it’s more like a bad trip.

Attachments:
    Geoff Ruonavarra
    Participant

So many bizarre scenes. Ill post some larger fellows I found but having too much fun with the microscope at present. Still trying to get a cleaner shot of pic 2. Very frustrating.

Attachments:
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.