Help with Crinoid Identification

Homepage Forums What Is It? Help with Crinoid Identification

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Jordan Oldham
    Participant

I recently went fossil hunting at some Silurian deposits near my university, and found an almost complete calyx. First attempt at identification was using the Fossils of Ohio book, but the crinoids from the Cedarville Dolomite in the book are blobs with hardly any detail. Second attempt I searched for crinoids found in the Lockport Dolomite in northern Ohio (since the Cedarville is equivalent with the Lockport). I thought I identified it as Eucalyptocrinus crassus, but I am second guessing myself since I found some Eucalyptocrinus in our collection. The plates are small compared to Eucalyptocrinus. The posterior end in Eucalyptocrinus is much broader than the specimen I found. My last attempt was using the Treatise of Invertebrate Paleontology, but I am not an expert in invertebrates to be able to understand the species descriptions. I could really use anybodies help in identification as well as any thoughts on how I could better prep the specimen. I attached three photo with a scale bar of 2 cm and I hope the pictures give enough detail of the specimen. If you would like better pictures I can definitely try to get better photos. Thanks for the assistance!

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Jack Kallmeyer

@jordan-oldham  Jordan,  I don’t see in your description where you found this other than near your university.  You didn’t identify the university.  Sorry if I missed something.  I’d like to see clearer photos in hi-res that I could enlarge.  Having said that, here is what I think so far:

This does appear to be a Eucalyptocrinites (this is the currently accepted genus as they have dropped using “crinus” on this one).

The crinoids in Fossils of Ohio from the Cedarville Dolomite are internal molds.  No actual original calyx plates are preserved.  That’s why they may look like blobs plus the illustrations of them in Fossils of Ohio is not all that great.  Is this the correct Formation where this was found?  From what I can see, your specimen appears to have original calyx plates and that would be very unusual for the dolomite. The Eucalyptocrinites proboscidialis from the Cedarville Dolomite illustrated in Fossils of Ohio is the same illustration used in the Treatise (T497, Fig 299, 1d).  The specimen is an internal mold and does not appear to be what you have.

Jack

Jordan Oldham
    Participant

No, you did not miss anything I forgot to add that information. The specimen was found in Indian Mound Reserve within Massie’s Creek Gorge in Cedarville, Ohio. Yes, the specimen did come from the Cedarville Dolomite. As for the photos I will try my best to get what you want. I am currently away from school (where the specimen is) on break , but will be back there in a couple of days.

Thanks for the assistance,

Jordan

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.