Help with Rib identification

Homepage Forums What Is It? Help with Rib identification

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Lance Comfort
    Participant

Found this fossil rib head and neck on north myrtle beach this morning. The closest I can come is castoroides and would appreciate any input. This is my first post to the forums and hope to have many more. Thank you for any assistance in this identification….Lance

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Hey Lance @lance-comfort,

we will check that and get back to you later. Sorry for the delay. We were busy with the GSA conference and the GSA short course. No excuse I know 😉

best

Ronny

Eleanor Gardner

Hmm, interesting.  What resources did you use to come up with the possible ID of giant beaver, @lance-comfort?  Maybe @rnarducci, @dmitchell, or @smoran could help you out on this one?

Lance Comfort
    Participant

Hey Eleanor.  I had a very difficult time locating any images of the giant beaver ribs, however at

Casting the Earlham Castoroides, Part 2

There are several images of the ribs, and although not close up, seem to be similar and I thought that my find was possibly about the correct size.  I have previously found a Castoroides molar at this particular beach.  A lot of it was a guess, and would greatly appreciate assistance.  Thanks…Lance

Sean Moran
    Keymaster

Hi Lance @lance-comfort,

Unfortunately I am not going to be able to be much of a help here. Mammalian ribs are notoriously difficult to identify down to any precise lower taxonomic level. For example, out of the 400,000+ fossil we have here at the FLMNH none have been positively identified as Castoroides (in fact, only two have been identified as beaver at all, and they are complete ribs). So, I guess what I am trying to say is it might be, but it might not be… sorry I can’t be more helpful!

Sean

Lance Comfort
    Participant

Thank you Sean…Lance

Eleanor Gardner

Hey, @rboessenecker, @sboessenecker, and @aaron-wood!  Might any of you be able to help Lance out with identifying this rib fragment?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.