How do you use "@" to tag a member in a discussion?

Homepage Forums Help Forum How do you use "@" to tag a member in a discussion?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Bill Heimbrock
    Participant

How do you use “@” to tag a member in a discussion? When I type @I get a dropdown list of people on my friend list, but can’t tag other people. when I type @ and the person’s first initial and last name, it doesn’t turn it into a real tag.

The Topic Tags box is just creating a character string tag for the discussion, rather than a contextual tag for a userid.

Bill Heimbrock
    Participant

I figured it out. It you type @ and then the userid of the person, it will work. The trouble is I was assuming the userid is the first initial and the last name. Most people have their userid as the full first name, a dash, and then their full last name. You can guess at it, but the text editor will not tell you if you are right until you post it, unless the name is on your friend list.

So what you can do is view the person’s profile. The userid is the @ sign following the person’s name at the top of the screen. I don’t know how I missed that!

Jennifer Bauer
    Participant

Sorry we were slow on this @bheimbrock! Tagging can be tricky depending on when the user joined. Us older member have just our first initial and our last name whereas everyone else is hyphenated. My go to is to start by typing in the first name and if the dropdown doesn’t have the user I’m looking for I try the first initial or search under the members tab to see their user profile – as you described!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.