I found this

Homepage Forums What Is It? I found this

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Mihai Blaga
    Participant

Hello there. I found this in the Carpathian Mountains, Romania, near Mount Penteleu, up from Siriu Lake, when i hiking with my friends and i’m curious what it is.

If anyone can help me identify this fossile, i would be grateful.

Thank you.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Evan Walsh
    Participant

I think it might just be a natural mineral formation. If it is Proterozoic-age rock it might be an impression of something from the Ediacaran Fauna

Asa Kaplan
    Participant

The rock there is either early Cenozoic or else Mesozoic. Ediacarans are out of the question, not only for this reason, but for morphological reasons: no known Ediacaran is spiral- or tube-shaped.

This appears to be the trace of a worm or other creature that fed in a spiral outward from a central starting point. It consumed the sediment whole and released the digested sediment behind it. If it showed a rigid, curved outer shell, then we could talk about what kind of snail or cephalopod shell it is. But since the outlines are wavy and irregular, it is almost certainly a feeding trace.

I don’t know my trace fossil taxonomy well enough to put a genus identification on this fossil, but these lecture notes contain some spiral feeding traces you might take a look at:
    http://www.yorku.ca/lbianchi/nats1800/lecture01a.html

MacKenzie Smith
    Participant

I agree that this is some sort of trace fossil.

Mihai Blaga
    Participant

Thanks for your help.

I guess you are right about it being a trace of some worm like creature, although i’m hoping you are wrong. My only argument is that the fossil is quite pronounced, and the surrounding is filled with debris that can maybe the cause for some of the irregularity in the shape.

Thoughts?

My thanks.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.