Montbrook Fossil Dig

Homepage Forums Pictures In The Field Montbrook Fossil Dig

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Rachel Narducci
    Participant

The purpose of this topic is to share pictures, experiences, etc. from the Montbrook Fossil Dig. The dig is an opportunity for volunteers of the Florida Museum of Natural History to gain paleontological field experience and help the vertebrate paleontology department with this excavation. Check out the ‘Montbrook Fossil Dig’ Museum Voices blog or the FLMNH ‘Volunteering in the Field’ web page for more information and the application to volunteer.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Eleanor Gardner

Thanks for starting this topic, @rnarducci!

@cindy-lockner
    , have you taken any photos while volunteering at Montbrook that you could share here?  We’d love to see what you’ve found! 🙂  Who else has been volunteering with you?

Lisa Lundgren
    Keymaster

Didn’t @scoller find a gomphothere scapula?? I thought I saw something about that on the Florida Museum Facebook page last week.

Cindy Lockner
    Participant

Hi Eleanor – yes, I have LOTS of pics from Montbrook. How many would you like? Several colleagues from the fossil lab I volunteer at (Educational Biofacts), have joined me at the site: Bob Graham, Dr. Ann Spellman, Dr. Mary Romjue, and Emily Beech. And Bonnie, Russell, and Steve from FFH have also volunteered at the site.

Lisa Lundgren
    Keymaster

Hi @cindy-lockner post as many as you are comfortable with here! It’d be great to see them 🙂

Eleanor Gardner

Yes, @cindy-lockner, what @llundgren said!  We’d love to see as many as possible!!

Jeanette Pirlo
    Keymaster

Giant jacket has finally arrived at the prep lab!  After tireless hours of excavating, jacketing, cleaning, figuring out how to remove from the site, transporting, and unloading, the approximate 300 pound jacket containing Gomphothere jaws is home!

What are your favorite steps in moving specimens from the field to the lab?

Attachments:
    Lisa Lundgren
    Keymaster

Who was on the Montbrook fossil dig this weekend? I saw @michelle-barboza’s live tweets featuring some folks, like @rebecca-mussetter, @dellingson, and @tmorgan but I don’t know if I missed seeing some people.

Did you take photos while you were in the field?  Share your favorite!

@jeanette-pirlo
     @vperez @bmacfadden can you tag people if you know their usernames?

Jeanette Pirlo
    Keymaster

Hi Lisa,

We had 18 teachers out this weekend! Adding to your list we had: @adam-fournier @todd-kohorst @ginny-switt @wendy-bailey @jamie-garcia @jonna-ocampo @danielle-brennan @lois-walsh @alicia-foy @wendy-bailey @catherine-mueller and @dipa-desai and a few others who do not have profiles yet.  Teachers, what were some of your favorite experiences of this past weekend?!

Ginny Switt
    Participant

I loved the actual act of digging, and my students today LOVED to see the pictures that I had!  I learned so much about identifying fossils.

Jeanette Pirlo
    Keymaster

@ginny-switt I too enjoy the actual digging aspect, but the best part is seeing how our students react to the experience! I’m so glad you were able to share with them this experience and hear about their enthusiasm!

Wendy Bailey
    Participant

Hi Jeanette! Thank you again for allowing me the opportunity to come out to the teacher dig this past weekend! It was such a great experience and I am having a blast sharing it with my first graders. Here are a few pictures from this weekend and also some pictures of my students as I bring it into the classroom and teach them all about paleontology. They are even bringing in their own fossils and are so excited to share!

Attachments:
    Wendy Bailey
    Participant

My first graders so far have learned that paleontologists can do the work of a botanist, geologist, biologist, and archaeologist and they learned some of the tools they use. Today we demonstrated how fossils are made by making sedimentary layers out of graham cracker crumbs, gummy bears, and layers of pudding. I don’t have those pictures uploaded yet but they are loving it! Tomorrow we are making molds and casts of sea shells.

Attachments:
    Lisa Lundgren
    Keymaster

Hi @wendy-bailey! Love seeing photos of your students as scientists. Have you noticed any interesting trends in teaching your students about paleontology? Are you Florida-based? What has been their (and your!) favorite part?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.