need help identify

Homepage Forums What Is It? need help identify

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Amina Gojak
    Participant

Is this a fossil?

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Jack Kallmeyer

@amina-gojak Well, I looked at your photos and I don’t think it is a fossil but am not sure.  If it isn’t a fossil I’m not sure what it is. If you can add locality data maybe someone else can help.

Amina Gojak
    Participant

I found it on mountein Bjelasnica near Sarajevo.

Amina Gojak
    Participant

These I found on the same place.

Attachments:
    Bruce MacFadden
    Keymaster

I agree with Jack that these are difficult to ID. Sorry I cannot be of more help.  Bruce

Forest Post
    Participant

pebble

Hey Amina,

I think these are structures from the Southern Dinaric Karst System, the main geological structure and something quite common in that area. Karst comes from the croatian word <i>krš</i> and means stony dour soil. Most of your objects seems to be calcitic. The original sediments of the area, mostly limestone, was dissolved and finaly precipitated in structures like the ones you presented us here. So No, these are not fossil but Yes, these structures are quite interessting.  Btw: That mountain is nice for skiing and was host for the the alpine competitions of the Olympic Winter Games of 1984. Very nice area!!

Best regards from snowy Germany 😉

Ronny

Victor Perez
    Participant

Hi Amina @amina-gojak, I agree with Ronny (@rleder), these appear to carbonate rocks/minerals. We saw some similar structures in Panama. Here is a picture of a limestone ‘tube’ from Lago Alajuela that is similar to the first image in your second set of photos. As Ronny explained, the carbonate dissolves and re-precipitates in ways that give the appearance of something once living, such as a burrow, but are in fact inorganic. Definitely still fun to find though!

Attachments:
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.