New publications by independent researchers / amateur paleontologists

Homepage Forums New Research for Discussion New publications by independent researchers / amateur paleontologists

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Piotr Bajdek
    Participant

This is my first post on FOSSIL, so let me introduce myself… I’m Piotr, I live in Poland, and I’ve been searching for fossils since I was 5 years old. Yesterday, I found this website and I admire its concept of “social paleontology” and interaction between professional and amateur paleontologists. It is particularly appealing to me personally because I’m an independent researcher. I’ve published nine peer-reviewed journal publications as an unaffiliated researcher (well, the ninth one is currently in press) and mostly as the first author. I don’t have scientific titles.

However, I imagine I shouldn’t talk too much about myself. I read the Publications section I am delighted to see there are more avocational paleontologists publishing their research and forming a community on FOSSIL–definitely, it should be interesting to keep in touch with you all! I look forward seeing more activity on FOSSIL such as thoughtful discussions on science and projects.

I propose this new topic dedicated to publications (journal papers, conference abstracts, books, etc.) by unaffiliated researchers / avocational paleontologists. So if a new publication authored/coauthored by an independent researcher comes out, we can cite it herein and discuss.

Piotr Bajdek
    Participant

Here goes the first paper… Feel free to ask me questions. 🙂

Bajdek, P., Szczygielski, T., Kapuścińska, A., and Sulej, T. in press. Bromalites from a turtle-dominated fossil assemblage from the Triassic of Poland. Palaeogeography, Palaeoclimatology, Palaeoecology. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.palaeo.2019.02.002

Highlights

• Studied coprolites provide information on a turtle-dominated Late Triassic ecosystem.
    • Coprolites were produced by sharks, turtles, theropods, and a sizable herbivore.
    • Carnivores fed predominantly on fish in this fluvial environment.
    • The turtle Proterochersis porebensis was likely omnivorous and semiaquatic.
    • Life habits of early turtles were similar to those typical of extant taxa.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.