Porifera ID help

Homepage Forums What Is It? Porifera ID help

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Lance Comfort
    Participant

Recently picked this piece up on Myrtle Beach SC.  It appears to be a chambered sponge, possibly in Sphinctozoa.  I have attached close up pics of the Horizontal septa between the chambers and another of what I believe to be the spicules.  Greatly appreciate help on identification.  Thanks….Lance

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Jack Kallmeyer

@lance-comfort Lance, I agree that the last photo does indeed look like sponge spicules so I believe it is a sponge.  That’s about as much help as I can give you as there are lots of kinds of sponges and my minimal knowledge is in the Ordovician ones.  Are you a member of the North Carolina Fossil Club?  If not, I think you should join as I’d bet there are people there that could be more helpful on these NC fossils.  @lmccall  Another thing to check is the first entry at the top of the What is it? Forum.  It is called “Fossil specialties + contacts.” This has a list of fossil experts and their specialties.  Maybe you can find someone there that could help further.

Lance Comfort
    Participant

@jkallmeyer @lmccall Thanks Jack.  Yes I am a member, but just recently and have not made any contacts yet.  Thanks for the advice and confirmation….Lance

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.