Pseudofossil or brachiopod-atrypa

Homepage Forums What Is It? Pseudofossil or brachiopod-atrypa

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Tim Williams
    Participant

This specimen has me stumped. I have a photo from the book Fossils For Amateurs by Russell P. MacFall and Jay C. Wollin and on page 258 they have a photo of a variety of brachiopod, atrypa specimens that looks distinctly like mine. However, I haven’t been able to confirm that with any other corroborating source through internet searches.

Looking for some help on whether this is, in fact, a true fossil find or a pseudofossil.

My son found it on Holden Beach, NC. I have another confirmed fossil specimen from this same beach, Hardounia mortonis, echinoid, late Cretaceaous, 66-68ma. It came from the Rocky Point member of the PeeDee formation that is common in this area.

Thanks for the help.

Tim

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    William Howat
    Participant

Looks like half of a black walnut shell to me…

…but I could be wrong.

Victor Perez
    Participant

William is correct, this is half of a modern walnut seed, not a fossil.

Tim Williams
    Participant

Victor/William,

Thank you very much for the feedback. I appreciate your expertise. The smooth quality of the underside and the inside of the chambers just seemed too unlikely if the specimen was actually organic shell material that had been floating around in the ocean for any period of time.

I do have another specimen that I found a couple of days ago that I’m still trying to identify before posting it. I don’t want to not learn on how to get through the ID phase, and just rely on/lean on posting pics and asking. Doesn’t seem nearly as meaningful.

Thanks again for your feedback!

Tim

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.