Tamiami Formation Bivalve

Homepage Forums What Is It? Tamiami Formation Bivalve

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Kyle Bostick
    Participant

I’ve found many of these bivalves in some of the Sunniland Limestone Quarries (SWFL). I can’t tell if it’s an oyster, but many have said it is.

It’s from the Tamiami Formation. Anyone have any idea what genus it might belong to? Everytime I find them they are always encrusted with all sorts of bryozoans, sponge-borings, worm tubes, etc. Definitely not like the Hyotissid

The shell is very thin and growth bands are very well preserved on every specimen. They are fairly large; the one in the photo is probably 8 inches long at the most.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Eleanor Gardner

Interesting find, @bostickkw! I wonder if Roger Portell could weigh in on this? @vperez, would you mind running this by Roger, like you did for Wendell’s question?

Victor Perez
    Participant

I did. Still waiting on a response. He was out of town last week and is just catching up on emails. I’ll keep you posted.

Kyle Bostick
    Participant

Here’s another specimen, but not as nice as the first one I posted.

It might be worth noting that the matrix is a variably cemented lime mud and contains many other smaller bivalve shells. Difficult to say what kind of ecotoneĀ it would have been in post-mortem.

Taphonomy isĀ just another reason to look at these guys.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.