The importance of public education in science.

Homepage Forums Ideas for New Forums The importance of public education in science.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    George Gough
    Participant

I would like to remind academics of  the importance of dedicating time to the education of the general public regarding paleontology and other science topics. This requires the ability to render complex material in a practical, accurate, easy-on-the-jargon and well illustrated manner in public talks. This is how we will improve public attitudes toward science and inform them on important issues such as evolution.  I have made it my mission to develop volunteer talks on Paleontology and have found that I am overwhelmed with the positive response from the public groups that I have encountered.  As an example, I recently gave a one hour illustrated talk to SPCA volunteers on the History of Ancient Horses and was very gratified with their interest. I was able to enmesh the topic of evolution within my presentation and what better way than through the history of horses. I will also be giving a talk on the Ancient Forces and Ancient Life of the Salton Basin to a naturalist club in the near future. I believe that the public actually craves science material that meets these  practical, accurate, easy-on-the-jargon and well illustrated principles noted above. I am actually surprised at how well they follow some use of jargon as long as it is presented carefully. Lets get out there and spread our knowledge and enthusiasm to the general public.

Eleanor Gardner

Hi, @george-gough!  Thanks for sharing this forum idea.  I agree that it is critically important for scientists and researchers to be able to communicate effectively to the public.  Would you be interested in ‘chairing’ this forum and contributing to it?  Perhaps you could find resources online and share them with the myFOSSIL community.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.