Tooth I.D.?

Homepage Forums What Is It? Tooth I.D.?

Tagged: 

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Jerry Hughes
    Participant

Found in the southern California desert—anyone have any ideas of what animal this tooth belonged to???

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    William Howat
    Participant

It looks like a partial Peccary molar to me…

Hope this helps.

-Bill

Jerry Hughes
    Participant

Thank you, Bill.  I will put that out to my local experts for some feedback.  Have a great New Year!

Victor Perez
    Participant

Hi Jerry @jerry-hughes, I don’t think it’s a tooth. From the first photo, my gut reaction was that it was a piece of slag because it appears to have a metallic luster. However, the lineations on the other photos made me second guess myself. If it is a fossil, I’m thinking it is an internal mold of an invertebrate, possibly a barnacle or clam.

Jerry Hughes
    Participant

Thank you, Victor, for your response.  When I collected it in the field, that’s exactly what I thought it was too!  Since then, I’ve submitted it to various people who know their “stuff” and having more than a photo to go on, they have concluded that it was a tooth.  (I actually found another tooth of the same kind at the same site but don’t have photos of that tooth “cleaned up” so it wouldn’t be of much value in a picture here.)   One paleontologist, just by looking at the pictures, thought that it may be crocodilian but he is going to get a first-hand look at it soon so I hope for more info from him.  I will post the answer if and when I get a positive I.D.   Thank you again,

Jerry

Jerry Hughes
    Participant

Actually, although not cleaned I will post other pictures of the other tooth that I found at that site.  Poor but better than nothing.  Thanks.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.