Unknown Shark’s Tooth

Homepage Forums What Is It? Unknown Shark’s Tooth

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Paul Somers
    Participant

attached are pictures of a tooth I found in the spoils pile from Lee Creek Mine at Urora Fossil Museum in North Carolina.  While the tooth does not have any evidence of missing cusplets, it could have had them at one time.  There are very small serrations on both sides of the crown.  The front top of the root is almost flat towards the back of the tooth.   The root also has a deep groove on the back side of it.  Thank you for any assistance you can provide.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Victor Perez
    Participant

It looks like Carcharhinus (possibly Carcharhinus isodon). Check out the Lee Creek guide at http://elasmo.com/

Paul Somers
    Participant

Victor…thank you for your response.  I do have to disagree with your suggestion that it is from the Carcharhinus genus.  None of those teeth have exaggerated flat roots.  I was leaning more towards Carcharia cupidity but not 100% convinced.  Thanks again.

Victor Perez
    Participant

I was thinking maybe one of the upper lateral positions of Carcharhinus isodon (perhaps like the tooth labelled as 10 or 11 here). It’s difficult to tell from the images if it is indeed serrated or if the cutting edge is chipped. If it is serrated, it’s not a sand tiger shark.

Paul Somers
    Participant

Victor…I am still not sure if it is.  I will be going up to Aurora next month and maybe I can get a definite ID on it.  Thank you so much for taking the time on ID ing this tooth.  I will let you know if I get a decision on it.   Good luck fossil hunting this year.

Bill Heim
    Participant

I would lean towards Carcharhinus isodon lower tooth as well (lower teeth are not serrated in this species).   A very rare find.

Paul Somers
    Participant

Bill:

Thank you for your response and identification.  Greatly appreciated.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.