What are these things?

Homepage Forums What Is It? What are these things?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Nathan Newell
    Participant

I’ve seen these little donut-shaped critters at a couple of sites in the Appalachian Mountains and I’m wondering what they are. My first guess was that they were some kind of coral, but now I’m thinking they might be cross-sections of sponges. Any ideas? Thanks!

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Evan Walsh
    Participant

looks like coral to me

Jack Kallmeyer

@nathan-newell, @evan-walsh  My thought was a moldaic preservation of a crinoid stem segment.

Jack

Nathan Newell
    Participant

@evan-walsh, @jkallmeyer Interesting theories, thanks for the replies!

Piotr Bajdek
    Participant

I agree with @jkallmeyer. These specimens resemble crinoids rather than corals or sponges.

Nathan Newell
    Participant

@piotr-bajdek Thanks! That’s very helpful. I’ve found a lot of fossils like these and I’ve been labeling them all as corals, but it looks like I’ll have to do some relabeling.

Piotr Bajdek
    Participant

You’re welcome! When I first found these fossils as a kid, I thought these were fish vertebrae!

Just search for crinoid stem fossils in Google Images. For example, this specimen looks just identical to your second picture: https://ukfossils.co.uk/2007/11/15/west-angle-bay/crinoid-stem-impression/

Nathan Newell
    Participant

@piotr-bajdek Whoa! You’re right, that’s exactly what they look like! Thanks for the clarification!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.