What type of bone? From what?

Homepage Forums What Is It? What type of bone? From what?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Danielle Brennan
    Participant

Good afternoon All,

This past weekend, I found this bone while digging in a shelf on the Conecuh River, specifically at Point A Dam in Andalusia, AL. The time period I was pulling fossils from is the Eocene. Can anyone help me identify what type a bone this is and what type of organism it may have come from. Other fossils I have gotten from this same area are, Carcharodon auriculates, varying species of ray mouth plates, barbs, other types of shark teeth, crocodile, barracuda, snake vertebrae, Zygorhiza whale vert, etc.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Lisa Lundgren
    Keymaster

Hey, @rleder, do you have any ideas on what these could be?

Bruce MacFadden
    Keymaster

@danielle-brennan

@llundgren

I sent your photos to our Vertebrate Paleontology collection manager. He identified these as fish bones. I would add that depending upon context, they could be Eocene, or perhaps Pleistocene (based on coloration). Are the Zygorhiza the same color?

Danielle Brennan
    Participant

Yes, the Zygorhiza is the same color. I also found these set of bones in the same location of the shelf as where I found the Zygorhiza vert two years ago. I am attaching a very poor image of the vert. This evening, I will try to get it out and take a much better photo. The layer of sediment I am digging in is the Lisbon-Tallahatta Layer. I am attaching a thesis study done on the location where I dig at.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.