FOSSIL Kickoff Meeting
February 19, 2014
Future Meetings Breakout Session
- Year 1 of FOSSIL: October 1, 2013-September 30, 2014
- Year 2 of FOSSIL: October 1, 2014-September 30, 2015
- Year 3 of FOSSIL: October 1, 2015-September 30, 2016
- Year 4 of FOSSIL: October 1, 2016-September 30, 2017
Timing of meetings?
- Year 2 meeting: Spring 2015, as appropriate for climate in meeting location (April or May?)
- Year 3 meeting: October 2015 (to be held in conjunction with a professional meeting: SVP in Dallas: October 14-17 or GSA in Baltimore: November 1-4?)
- Year 4 meeting: October 2016-Spring 2017
- Meetings should be held over weekends (possibly holiday weekends) to maximize the number of people who can attend
Format of meeting?
- 1 day of talks: mix of professionals and amateurs with more time for talks and questions/conversation. Talks could be about other topics in paleontology (not just public participation), but less technical than typical conference talks
- 1 day meeting
- Additional day for optional field trip
- Possible additional opportunities (visiting museums, special tours of collections, training in photography, preparation, etc.)
- Include webinars
- Offer remote participation (via Adobe Connect on web)
- Poster session (include every group who chooses to participate)
Funding/support from FOSSIL?
- Host club/society must provide venue and help plan meeting
- FOSSIL can fund travel for thirty representatives to attend (one from each club), as well as catering
- FOSSIL can assist with logistics and planning
- Host group ideally should have support from a local museum or university, as well as local paleontologists
Who will attend?
- FOSSIL team (PIs, support staff, external advisors, evaluators)
- At least one representative from each club, up to 30 funded by FOSSIL
- Additional representatives can attend at their own expense
- We expect more attendees (100-150) at subsequent meetings as the community grows