Bruce’s Paleo-Tutorial

  • 2 weeks ago
    Adania Flemming posted an update in the group Bruce’s Paleo-Tutorial

    Hi all,

    Is there a lab meeting today?

    Adania

  • 3 weeks ago
    Bruce MacFadden posted an update in the group Bruce’s Paleo-Tutorial

    We will meet today in the Director’s Conference Room $ 11:45. Gabe Santos will present his GSA talk. Please pass the word.

  • 3 weeks, 4 days ago
    Jennifer Bauer posted an update in the group Bruce’s Paleo-Tutorial

    FLMNH Seminar tomorrow: Dr. Andrea Dutton, Associate Professor – UF Department of Geological Sciences & Faculty Fellow – Thompson Institute for Earth Systems, will present Chasing the signal of Last Interglacial polar ice sheet collapse in the tropics.”​

    To promote sustainability and green practices, as part of the TIES mission, please bring your own mugs for coffee (and if you have extras bring them for others to borrow).

  • 3 weeks, 5 days ago
    Bruce MacFadden posted an update in the group Bruce’s Paleo-Tutorial

    See Holiday Invite Flyer in Files

    ‘Tis the Season!

    You will find the official holiday party invitation attached!  Please be sure to RSVP to me by Nov. 28th.  Lab managers, please distribute this invite to the students working in your labs.

    Thank you – and hope to see you all there on Dec. 3rd!

     

    Griffin Sheehy

    Asst. to the Director

    Florida Museum of Natural History

    Dickinson Hall

    PO Box 117800

    [email protected]

    Phone:  352-273-1901

    Fax:  352-392-8783

    www.flmnh.ufl.edu

  • 1 month ago
    Jennifer Bauer posted an update in the group Bruce’s Paleo-Tutorial

    I’ve registered for Jamie’s Streaming Science program on Nov. 15th at 2 PM and have reserved Dickinson 371 for anyone else interested in participating/viewing the program. It is on Bats and Beyond and will feature collaboration with the museum.

  • 1 month ago
    Adania Flemming posted an update in the group Bruce’s Paleo-Tutorial

    Hi all,

    Following up on Erin from Science education request, sent previously and discussed in paleo tutorial meeting:

    “Hey is there any way you think you could come into my methods course and possibly Bruce and explain what kinds of field trips the museum offers for elementary school? I realized I don’t account for informal experiences. Maybe you could do a classification lesson with them using fossils? I just want them to realize they will have options to give their kids various experiences and cost plus it would be cool for you to show them what you do. Bruce might want to do it. You could bring fossils or anything. I’ll give you as much time as you want, an hour or 90 minutes? “

    There are 3 methods classes to be covered :

    Tuesday Nov 13th 5:10- 8:10 pm

    Wednesday Nov 14th 5:10- 8:10 pm

    Thursday Nov 15th 4:00-7:00 pm

    Please respond if you are still available to assist with this?

    Thanks!

    • I should note I can do the Thursday session per my schedule Thursday 15th November. If someone had availability then we could tag team to do an activity!

      Thanks All!

      • Hi all,
        Given there were no responses, I asked if it would be possible to give a lesson on an alternative date. The new proposed dates for helping are
        Tuesday Nov 27th 5:10- 8:10 pm
        Wednesday Nov 28th 5:10- 8:10 pm
        Thursday Nov 29th 4:00-7:00 pm

        Please let me know if you would be able to assist and if you need more details?

        Thanks!
        Adania

  • 1 month ago
    Michael Ziegler posted an update in the group Bruce’s Paleo-Tutorial

    Janet Correll (one of our idigfossils teachers) from Pinecrest Elementary was extremely interested in having us Skype in to her classroom on Wednesday, November 14th. She was hoping we could talk to her students about “what a paleontologist does, dig sites, tools they use, some of the fossils they have found and to answer any questions the students have’ at the following times  
    * 7:45 am – 8:45 am (5th grade)
    * 11:20 am to 12:20 pm (4th Grade)
    * 12:50 pm to 1:50 pm (3rd grade)

    I would be able to talk to her kids at 7:45 am – 8:45 am, but have class and lab that overlaps with the other classes.

    WHO else wants to COMMUNICATE SCIENCE to the YOUTHS of Pinecrest Elementary?!?!? (:

    • I’ll check in with everyone during out lab meeting tomorrow, but if you are available to help out Janet and speak with her students it would be incredibly helpful! She’s going to email me with specific species they’re interested in, but in general it would be focused around those who lived in/around ancient Florida.

    • M.J.Z. will do 7:45am – 8:45am
      @imagallanes will do 11:20am – 12:20pm
      @jbauer will do 12:50pm – 1:50pm

  • 1 month, 1 week ago
    Rachel Narducci posted an update in the group Bruce’s Paleo-Tutorial

    I wasn’t sure if you all already knew about this, but ToScA is happening here at UF March 6-8, 2019. They have an abstract submission section for education and outreach – it might be cool to show some of the CT scanning/3D printing everyone’s been doing? Abstract deadline is Nov. 30th and here’s the direct link https://www.rms.org.uk/discover-engage/event-calendar/tosca-north-america-2019.html

    And here’s a more detailed email about the meeting/abstract submission:

    Dear all:
    The second ToScA North America Symposium is to be held at the University of Florida. The symposium provides an opportunity for open discussions, networking with researchers and commercial industry representatives, and a platform to engage in collaborations across disciplines using tomography.
    The symposium will include pre-conference hands-on software workshops, keynote speakers, student talks, poster presentations, and an image competition. 
    Abstracts are now being accepted for both talks and poster presentations.
    Abstract Submission Deadline Date – Friday 30 November 2018.
    To submit your talk / poster abstract for the symposium please follow the guidelines below:

    • Abstracts should be submitted as a Word Document NOT a PDF
    • Abstracts should be approximately 300 words in length
    • Ensure you include a full title, all authors and affiliations and references if appropriate
    • Include Keywords if possible
    • You may include images or diagrams where appropriate
    • Please indicate in your submission if you are a Student
    • Presenting authors are required to register, pay and attend the symposium
    • Please indicate which sessions your abstract would be most appropriate for from the list below:
      • Organismal Biology – Research stemming from the oVert grant,  biological sciences
      • Education and Outreach – Science communication, public engagement
      • Medicine and Veterinary Sciences – Medical applications, forensics, anthropology, bioengineering
      • Materials Science and Engineering – Industrial applications, failure analysis, computer science, aerospace & mechanical engineering
      • Agricultural Science and Food Technology – Industrial applications, plant science, entomology, food science & biotechnology
      • Food and Cosmetology – Industrial applications, nanotechnology, foam analysis, porosity analysis, drug delivery, cosmetic science
      • Earth and Space  – Industrial applications, geology, petroleum engineering, astrophysics, cosmology
      • Data Solutions – Data storage, owning, repurposing and management, software capabilities
      • Future Advances and Complementary Technologies – Industrial advances, contrast staining, synchroton radiation micro/nano CT, multimodal imaging, 4DCT

    Abstracts should be emailed as an attachment to Kate Wooding @ [email protected]
    Image Competition
    Image size: less than 2500 x 2500 pixels. If your image(s) are accepted we will request a high resolution version of the image from you (ideally 300dpi and more than 2500 x 2500 pixels).
    Accepted image formats: .png, .tiff , .jpg and .bmp

    File size limit: 2MB

    Copyright: ToScA has permission to reproduce the images submitted although the copyright will remain with the originator.

    To submit your image for the competition, please email Kate Wooding @ [email protected] and include the following information in your email:
    Image Title:
    Full Name:

    Affiliation/Institute:

    Contact Email:

    Please attach a copy of your image in either .png, .tiff , .jpg or .bmp format no greater than 2MB.

    Image submission deadline: Friday 30 November 2018.
    More information at:
    https://www.rms.org.uk/discover-engage/event-calendar/tosca-north-america-2019.html
     
    Regards,
    Amelia
     
    Dr. Luisa Amelia Dempere
    Engineer and Director
    Research Service Centers (RSC)
    Herbert Wertheim College of Engineering
    http://rsc.aux.eng.ufl.edu

  • 1 month, 1 week ago
    Bruce MacFadden posted an update in the group Bruce’s Paleo-Tutorial

    We will meet today, as regularly scheduled. See you then.

  • 1 month, 2 weeks ago
    Jennifer Bauer posted an update in the group Bruce’s Paleo-Tutorial

    Talk on science communication that was discussed earlier:
    Dr. Jamie Loizzo “Mobile Online Science Communication and Engagement”
    http://idigbio.adobeconnect.com/pjd016ldfcuv/

    Jamie’s project Streaming Science: https://streamingscience.com/

  • 1 month, 2 weeks ago
    Bruce MacFadden posted an update in the group Bruce’s Paleo-Tutorial

    Looking forward to our session tomorrow, regular place and time.

  • 1 month, 3 weeks ago
    Jennifer Bauer posted an update in the group Bruce’s Paleo-Tutorial

    @michael-ziegler & @rnarducci featured in the news!

    https://www.hernandosun.com/index.php/article/celebrate-national-fossil-day

  • 1 month, 3 weeks ago
    Michael Ziegler posted an update in the group Bruce’s Paleo-Tutorial

    GSA People: Anyone leaving from MCO on Friday, November 2nd?

    I fly out at 7:35 pm from the Orlando Airport.

    Would love to carpool, either tagging along with someone already heading to the Orlando Airport Friday or anyone wanting to join me if I need to rent a car!

  • 2 months ago
    Bruce MacFadden posted an update in the group Bruce’s Paleo-Tutorial

    Photo challenge and prize!

    I need a hi-res (>300 dpi) photo of someone giving a talk to a fossil club. This is for my book. It would be best if the photo is focused on you, and not the audience (then I do not have to worry about permission, other than yours). And I would need to know and have permission from the photographer.  The photo that I was going to use is low res (see “Files” upload today), plus I would prefer someone else but me.

    The prize is that if we can find one, then I will buy lunch for the entire lab group at La Tienda. Any takers?

    There is no rush, and we can talk about this at our next lab meeting in two weeks.

  • 2 months ago
    Jennifer Bauer posted an update in the group Bruce’s Paleo-Tutorial

    “Beyond Teaching: Using Context Diversity to help students thrive while broadening diversity in the geosciences” 1 hour long webinar through SERC’s InTeGrate program. Registration deadline on Oct. 18th (it’s free, it’s so you get a reminder and instructions for tuning in).

    https://serc.carleton.edu/integrate/workshops/webinars/2018_2019/beyond_teaching/index.html

  • 2 months, 1 week ago
    Bruce MacFadden posted an update in the group Bruce’s Paleo-Tutorial

    I have a doctors appointment on Tuesday at 11 am (that I cannot get out of) before class. It is unlikely that I will be back to campus in time for the start of class. I will text folks when I am heading back to campus, probably around noon. Likely we will need to meet closer to 12:15–12:30.

    Does anyone have a class thereafter in which they cannot meet later next Tuesday, as described above. Because of upcoming meetings, it is important that we meet.

    You only need to answer if you cannot meet later, Bruce

  • 2 months, 1 week ago
    Jennifer Bauer posted an update in the group Bruce’s Paleo-Tutorial

    1st Palaeontological Virtual Congress: http://palaeovc.uv.es/

    Abstracts are due Oct. 8th (next week), 250 words no figures or references – there are quite a few targeted sessions and then several vague sessions.

    Registration is 5 euros, unclear deadline but presumably after the schedule is set.

  • 2 months, 1 week ago
    Claudia Grant posted an update in the group Bruce’s Paleo-Tutorial

    Regarding Peanut Festival: Art is going to Montbrook tomorrow at 8am in the van. We need extra hands to collect 10 bags of matrix and allow for time to dry. Please let me know who is able to help. Thanks-

    • Do you know when we would be returning?

      • Probably by 11. We can ask Art if any other stops are planned and maybe see what the plan is for allowing the matrix to dry.

        • I just checked with Art and he said before 11, no extra stops except for gas on the way back. The more people that goes and helps collect, the faster we can get 10 bags. Depending on how many can help, there is a chance to comeback earlier than 11.

  • 2 months, 1 week ago
    Bruce MacFadden posted an update in the group Bruce’s Paleo-Tutorial

    We will be having class tomorrow as regularly scheduled. Looking forward to catching up.

  • 2 months, 2 weeks ago
    Jennifer Bauer posted an update in the group Bruce’s Paleo-Tutorial

    GSA student travel grants are due Oct 1 – these range but on average I’ve gotten ~$60/conference so it offsets a few meals. If I remember correctly it does not take long to fill out the form! https://community.geosociety.org/gsa2018/funding#tg

  • Load More