• Abe Hopwood posted an image in the group Group logo of What is it?What is it? from the myFOSSIL app 4 months, 3 weeks ago

    4 months, 3 weeks ago
    4 months, 3 weeks ago

    What is this rock?

    • Fossilized cracked mud.Abe I would post pictures of such mud cracks that are from cambrian rock formations, but the comments section doesn’t allow for pictures posting as comments. Such mud cracks are a geologic feature left by water features such as ponds, lakes and seas.

    • I agree with @david-powers, these are certainly desiccation cracks. Such cracks (often polygonal in fine-grained rocks such as mudstone) are generally formed after exposure at the surface, although some cracks (called syneresis cracks) are formed underwater but can be distinguished because they are often trilete or spindle-like in shape. Cracks are often filled with coarser sediments like sand; it would be interesting to see a cross-sectional picture of this specimen.

    • septarya